Render with 256 colors

Is there a way to render a scene with 256 colors only?

Would it make sense to convert the rendered picture to 256 color picture with GIMP or similar program after rendering?

I’d just like to ask ‘why’ you’d need a 256 colour render? Like BeBraw mentioned, just alter the colour depth post-pro in GIMP etc…

What are you rendering? What’s the end destination of your image(s)?

I converted the scene with Paintshop Pro, but the results were somewhat grainy. I was wondering if blender had a setting for color quality.

The scene is of “Dust Silos” and conveyers used in a manufacturing process. The scenes will be downloaded to Siemens Touch Panel and used as an operator interface. This device only supports 256 colors. I am thinking that toon shading might be the way to go but, I just wanted other opinions. I have not tried GIMP, but maybe it will do a better job than PS Pro.

Much clearer picture now.

Paint Shop can do very good Colour depth conversion from 24-bit to 8-bit (256 colours).

Most graphic apps like Photoshop, GIMP etc… do it.

From my own experience the key is choosing the correct method of how the 256-colour pallete is defined or indexed. There are usually various options available to the user to whittle down 24-bit to 8-bit with various dithering options etc…

I haven’t used Paint Shop in a long time, but try playing about with the various conversion/palette options because I’m sure Paint Shop defaults to quite a grainy and crappy setting.

Could you post a sample image of what it is you’re working with as that may help us in here to try it in GIMP etc… and tell you what settings/steps are needed :wink:

It’s possible there’s a plugin to do that…

But the best color sampling I’ve encountered is with the Gimp. It usually does a good enough job that you can’t notice any significant difference between the original TrueColor and the 256-color images.

Be sure to save your render in a lossless format like PNG before reducing color depth, otherwise you’ll get some nasty artifacts…