Rendered Animation files

Rendered Animation files… I am having trouble figuring out how they are done… Do I need a seperate image sequence editor, or will blender do it by itself with the right settings? (If I do need a seperate sequence editor could anyone suggest a good one)

What version of Blender are you using? (check the Help/About Blender item).

In a ‘Buttons’ Window Type, Press F10 to get to the ‘Render Buttons’. If you are using version 2.41, there are 3 ‘sub screens’ available when you press F10 (Render Buttons, Anim/Playback, Sound Block). Pressing F10 will cycle between them. Then in the Render Buttons panel under the ‘Format’ tab, there is a dropdown selector where you can choose your output format. Both single-frame and avi/Quicktime is available.

Attachments

Hey Thanks that is wonderfully helpful.

Okay Lets say I already have an animation ready, It works fine in blender 2.41, but I want to Know how to make it work in QuickTime or maybe in Windows moviemaker?:confused:

This depends on the codec that you selected (in Blender) before you pressed the Animation button. As long as those apps can import the format that you encoded (see the rest of this thread…) then you can use the animation in other apps.

Try a short animation using the AVI RAW format. It is the simplest since there is no compression. It will result is larger files however. So for project work, use the compression codec that you like best, that can be imported by your other editing software.

Regards,
Mike

http://mediawiki.blender.org/index.php/Reference/Buttons/Scene_Context

You should fill in a filename under the ‘Output’ tab (labelled (3) in the attached picture), to make it easier to find the file. E.g. I have created a folder/directory called ‘render’ under my Blender directory. (With windows, if you leave the directory/file blank, I found a file called ‘[frame-range][ext]’ in the /Documents/[user] directory.)

See my previous post to see the code choices under the ‘format’ tab.

To play in the Quicktime player, you’d choose … amazingly enough the aptly named ‘Quicktime’ codec :slight_smile:

For MM, avi,avi_jpeg,avi_codec will all work.

When you choose avi_codec, (or if you press the ‘Set codec’ button, you’ll get a ‘subCategory’ of codec to choose (as AVI is not really a codec). I usually just choose the first one ‘Cinepak’ with the default settings. But you can try them all, and see how each codec affects the size and quality of the images.

A typical basic workflow for rendering following the picture is

• Choose the frame range of the animation
    • Pick the container-codec you want (AVI/MOV-{codec})
      2a) - Choose the size of the image(s) (The PAL/NTSC/PC … buttons will select some pre-selected sizes
    • Choose a filename location (click on the ‘folder’ icon to open a browser)
    • Press the ANIM button

*** Additionally, you may want to turn on/off the Shadow,Envmap,Ray,Osa,Mblur buttons under the Render tab. For quick ‘preview renders’, turning all of those buttons off, will yield the fastest renders

Mike

Attachments

hi there!

i am kind of confused.
the animation doesnt render animore, just one frame, than it stops.
i am using blender 2.42a, blender internal. avi codec.
it has already worked with these settings a while ago…

i have checked all your points

• Choose the frame range of the animation
    • Pick the container-codec you want (AVI/MOV-{codec})
      2a) - Choose the size of the image(s) (The PAL/NTSC/PC … buttons will select some pre-selected sizes
    • Choose a filename location (click on the ‘folder’ icon to open a browser)
    • Press the ANIM button

when i press ANIM it renders online the first frame, not the whole animation…???

help needed!

Check the filename and path are valid (it sounds like it can’t save the first frame so it stops). Are back-slashes usual on your system? If you have some way of checking system error reports (eg Mac OSX Console), see what it says.

OR
Did you open and/or play the rendered movie file outside Blender (in Quicktime or Movie Maker perhaps)? If so, have you closed the file?

OR
Are you waiting long enough (is it rendering very slowly)?

Note: You really should call the file “test1.mov”, not just “test1”