Rendering a double walled tea glass

Hi guys,

I’m trying to render a simple model of a double walled tea glass (for the moment without any tea in it). Found a couple of tutorials on how to render glass with the Cycles renderer (for instance this one at Blender Cookie), which helped me to get started. However, at this point I’m not sure how to continue.

Any hints on how to proceed are very welcome! Please bear in mind that I’m absolutely new to rendering with Cycles, so if you have the time, please elaborate a little on what you mean (and why you suggest it).

I attached the .blend file to this post.

Thanks!

[Edit] It might be helpful to mention that I’m trying to get it to look more clear/transparent, it is way too grayish right now. The end result should be something like this.

Attachments

BasicGlassCycles.blend (526 KB)

Change Glass node color to white (1.0, 1.0, 1.0), in your .blend it have default (0.8 0.8 0.8)

Thanks. I’ve spent some more time on it, this is the result:

Well, you certainly have a very convincing “tea glass” now. At this point, think about setting and camera-angle; how you want to present this tea-glass in some context. That’s probably what should be your number-one concern at this point, because every model is designed to be put somewhere, and therefore to have the characteristics that will cause it to look good there. (Ergo: it need not have any characteristics that do not make a clearly-visible difference there, and the cheapest fastest close-enuf way to get it to “looking good” is preferable to anything else.)

Putting it on a plain white background and stuffing a camera in its face was just fine for modeling and for this presentation, but such a setting is both highly artificial and garish … as expected. You can easily wind up “futzing with it” with diminishing returns, chasing a “perfection” that simply doesn’t matter, until you put it on what will be the real tablecloth in the real room and thus can see what does matter to the shot.