rendering a scene in parts

Hi, I have had this question on my mind for quite some time:I have a large scene and want to render it in several parts, then put them together in photoshop. However, since I will render, for example the ground plane seperately, and then the objects, I will not get the shadows on the ground plane that would usually be cast by the objects. Is there some kind of technique I can use to get around this problem?

Use some render layers. Assign one for the floor, and others for your objects. Use some AlphaOver nodes
to composite them. With this way you will get the floor with the shadows of the objects on it, on a separate layer.
If you want to do the compositing with Photoshop, connect each render layer with a File output. You will have one file by render layer (create one directory for each).
See here for more information.

Hi Bulpa, thanks for the reply. Yup, I am gonna have to learn to use the node editor properly. I have been trying to ignore it but I think the time is now upon me.

What is your goal? Are you trying to cut down on render times or do you want more flexibility with the final look of your render?

Do an advanced search of this forum a with my user name and the key words: render layers and you’ll be able to find just about anything you might need.