Rendering Animations

What is the best settings - codec / dimensions / file type for rendering animation with a good neat and crisp look yet with a small filesize ?

What are the standards ? what do you use ?

What software you use to mix sound file with video, I wish blender could render video with sound instead of rendering a seperate soundfile and video. Windows movie maker is gerat but renders only in wmv file format. how to make it compatible for VCD ?

Thanks
Karan

Hi karan…
In my experience…its best to render out as an image sequence(tiff,tga etc) and then get it into an editor to add sound .This gives u the best flexibility to move stuff around if needed.

There are many softwares out there that will help u with this…
check these links out…and u’l be on your way.

http://tv.isg.si/site/?q=node/873

I use virtual dub and wax mostly.
Hope this helps
-kudos

I recommend rendering to sequences of PNG image files. The question which codec to use should not be answered at the rendering stage.

[email protected], also known as 720p, is the most common non-interlaced HD format. You can’t go wrong with that. Once you have a PNG sequence in 720p, you can easily derive 480p (DVD), 576p (PAL DVD), YouTube (480x360/270) or any other format from it.

The best file format/codec for web distribution is MP4 (H.264, AAC). It yields good results at low bitrates and will be accepted by all video portals. If you want to host the video on your own server space, consider using Ogg (Theora, Vorbis) to avoid MPEG licensing issues.

What software you use to mix sound file with video, I wish blender could render video with sound instead of rendering a seperate soundfile and video. Windows movie maker is gerat but renders only in wmv file format. how to make it compatible for VCD ?

Blender can render video and audio to the same file, but I recommend using other software anyway because Blender cannot do 2-pass encoding. Avidemux, MEncoder and VirtualDub can turn your PNG sequence/WAV file into anything else.

VCD uses MPEG-1 video. However you will never achieve a crisp look on VCD. I would go for DVD-Video instead.

I recently discovered that it actually outputs DVAVI as well. I was pleasantly surprised to see M$ actually use an industry standard for once on one of their bundled apps! If you must edit with WMM, at least export to this format for further conversion to VCD or whatever your target audience must have. But blender’s sequencer is a very powerful editor (the best multi-platform OSS option out there for this presently, BTW) and like has been said can mux via FFMPEG.