Rendering at 300 DPI calculation?

I have to render an image at 6000 x 6000 pixels at 300 dpi.

Other render engines have a 300 dpi resolution option but not blender.

So to calculate

6000 pixels is 83.3333 inches

that multiplied by 300 gives a resolution of 25000.

Is this right calculation?

I am confused how do I use this figure in Blender, as 25000 pixels?

Render to Print addon http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:2.6/Py/Scripts/Render/Render_to_Print

6000px @ 300dpi = 20 inches
From your question you seem to be mixing up pixels and size. Do you want a certain size @ 300dpi or a certain number of pixels @ 300dpi which will give whatever size it does. If you don’t actually know what you want then no-one can help you.

DPI = Dots Per Inch
Blender doesn’t care which dpi resolution you want to render your picture with, only the overall pixel size matters. The DPI come in when you want to print your picture, or with monitor resolution issues…

So for example:
Printing out a rendering with 6000 pixels side length with a print resolution of 300 dpi gives you a print size of 20 inches side length.
Printing out the same digital file on a printer with 150 dpi gives you a poster size of 40 inches side length.
So generally, the less DPI resolution, the bigger the same picture, but the coarser viewing it close up.
You can change and save the DPI setting of a rendering from Blender in a picture manipulation software like GIMP or PShop.

1 inch = 2.54 cm, just in case you calculate in metric measures…

What size of printout we are talking about? A0, A4, B1 ?
http://www.rideau-info.com/photos/mythdpi.html
http://www.digicamguides.com/print/ppi-print-size.html

Thanks for the Addon, I was mugging the whole thing.

I wanted 6000 x 6000 pixels at 300 dpi. That is the max size for merchandise, rest are all smaller.

Image files have a resolution of a given amount of pixels, e. g. 1920 x 1080 - and that’s all there is. There isn’t really such a thing as an image “at 72 dpi” or at “300 dpi”.

The dpi value determines - in a way - the relation between the image resolution and the print size:
Say, your final printed image is 10 inch x 10 inch in the print product you’re creating at 300 dpi, then you will need an image with a resolution of at least 10 in * 300 dpi = 3000 x 3000 pixels to get a decent print result.

Or the other way around: How many “effective dpis” you get from an existing image file depends solely on the dimensions the image will have in the later print product. The very same image file can get you 300 or more dpi when used in a small booklet or just 150 dpi or less when used on a poster.

So, in a nutshell:
Print size in inch * “required dpi” = required resolution.
Image resolution / print size in inch = “effective dpi”.

Guys, don’t mix PPI and DPI - those are different values. If you need to find out the right resolution of your renders you need to count with the PPI value which is usually much lower than the DPI - printers need more than one “dot” to print a single pixel…

The addon works for me well, render took 7 hrs but it is done 6000 pixels at 300 dpi.