Rendering Grease Pencil objects on headless, no GPU render farm machines in Blender 2.8

My company has been running into problems when trying to render Blender 2.8 scenes on headless, no GPU render machines. We are using AWS Thinkbox Deadline.

We are able to get Cycles to render scenes with just geometry successfully on the farm. But when we try to render Grease Pencil objects, we get the OpenGL 3.3 error dialog box, and the render fails.

We are aware of the MESA 3D/OpenGL32.dll workarounds that are out there, and we have successfully rendered a scene with Grease Pencil objects using it. But before deploying this method on 80+ of our farm machines and potentially opening ourselves up to issues further down the line, we are reaching out to the community to ask the question: Has anyone been able to successfully render Grease Pencil objects using Cycles on a headless render machine with no GPU?

I haven’t found much info to back this up, but is Grease Pencil completely reliant on OpenGL? If so, it’s pretty clear why we can’t get it to work unless we use the modded drivers.

Thanks,

-dp-

Hi Dave,
Welcome to BA. I’m sorry that I can’t be of assistance for the lack of experience in this field.
Anyhow I’d like to propose to you to contact the foundation directly and state them your case. This is one of those cases developers of Blender are asking for. If you don’t want to contact [email protected] I still think you will get better feedback by opening a thread over at devtalk.blender.org . I am sure the people over there are interested in your particular case.

1 Like

Thanks, Markus - appreciate the suggestions!

-dp-

1 Like

Were you able to solve this issue?