Rendering mesh intersections

Hello,
I’d like to sculpt an existing surface mesh using a series of images in the background as reference. The images are from DICOM medical data, so they are 3D volumetric. I’d like to show one plane at a time, and additionally, the intersection of the mesh with that plane. If you’ve ever used medical segmentation tools, you’ll know what this looks like. Basically, a 2D image with some contour traced over it.

Is there anyway to achieve this in Blender? The reason I want to do this is to be able to use the Sculpt mode and brushes on a mesh, but I need to see the intersections to make sure it conforms very precisely with the image.

I’m currently using the quad-view mode and the sculpt module and loading background images for each ortho-view, but unfortunately the mesh covers most of the image. I have no problem taking the time to write a python helper-script to do this, but unfortunately I’m not very familiar with Blender’s capabilities.

The only thing I don’t know is this: does blender have any facilities for intersecting a mesh with a plane, and rendering the intersection contour? This is the only missing ingredient that I’ve not been able to dig up in the last few days of playing with Blender. It would be lovely if someone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks!!

There is a script from Witold Jaworski which does that intersection line. You can convert it to curve, bevel or use skin modifier and render that. Works in recent r57489:

Hi eppo, thanks for the quick reply! That looks like exactly what I want. I’ll give it a shot and see how far I get.

Just an update in case someone else finds this useful, the script does not work for the version of Blender in the Ubuntu 12.04 repositories (2.6.2). I installed version 2.6.3 and it seems to be working fine now