Can someone please confirm that rendering (and saving) cubic environment maps is broken in 2.6? If so I’ll file a bug report. It worked in 2.4.
I’m working from this tutorial. Just jump to the section titled “Render the environment map”. Some things have moved around since 2.4 but Blender appears to want to support this feature.
Here’s the steps I’m using:
- Open the default scene (keep the centered cube)
- Place some random objects surrounding the cube.
- Set the material of the cube to “shadeless”
- Give the cube a texture of type “Environment Map”
- In the Environment map settings set Viewpoint 0 to the “Cube” object
- Render the scene. (In 2.4 I believe you could watch it render each of the 6 cube faces. In 2.6 it just appears to render a single image as if you weren’t doing anything special)
- Back under the Environment Map settings of the texture select “Save environment map” from the drop down list.
- The image it saves has weird artifacts and parts are completely black/missing.
Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug? Any advice you could offer would be much appreciated.