Rendering trees with depth of field

Hi,
I’m working on a scene which has a focus pull from far to close-by. There are palmtrees close to the final focal point, but the leaves are rendering very strange… does someone have any idea on how to fix this?!

Indeed that’s weird, what are the alpha settings for the leaves , and the DOF settings ? (scene not camera )

Eevee DOF can be tricky , with cycles it will work, but maybe by tweaking the settings …

Ah yeah, i was able to fix it a bit with the scene DOF settings, but still some funky artifacts…
I’ve tried all different alpha blend modes eventhough the leaves dont have alpha, didnt do anything good unfortunately.

1 Like

Yeah especially since it’s a slow camera move it’s pretty unforgiving …
Don’t hesitate to paste a screenshot of your DOF settings , that might sparks an idea, but it probably won’t work …

You’ll have to fix it in post :smiley: !

If it were me, I’d probably “comp” this, and to heck with the “reality.” The sequence where the foreground skeletons come into tight focus looks terrific to me, but I don’t like the way that the ships go out of focus.

In “real-world photography,” we would deal with this using a zoom-lens, where we could increase the depth-of-field in real time even as we adjusted the focus plane from back to front. We’d be twisting or motorizing both knobs simultaneously. Intuitively, I think that Blender’s camera setttings ought to be able to do the same, although I don’t now have time to try it.