Replacing lwo, obj, or fbx from file, not from scene or other blenderfiles

Oh yes, apart from my specific case with weightmap fractals on lwo for fluid emission in blender.
Of course, just reload a new obj file from whatever folder to replace the current object that is serving as mesh to volume will matter a lot.

Would really be sweet if they could hardcode it natively to replace with a file, and even a reload so if you work on a mesh in another software and save it, you could just click reload or update and your mesh to volume would change accordingly.
Just thought of that right now when trying various mesh generation techniques in Lightwave and then go to blender for the volume creation.

I was actually thinking it would be quite easy to do a script doing this but I just have too much things at work and I also suck at programming. You also use 2.79 and Lightwave which I don’t have installed at the moment.
Maybe you should poke the guy who wrote the lwo importer so it works for 2.8 or 2.9, I think he is a LW developer.

Have you tested copy paste external? Should speed things up a bit.

Yes, in the first place…I may have to poke on that guy who made the importer in the first place, and if not within a year or so, we can get back and start a donate campaign for you) if you have less work then of course.

As for copy and paste, yes …I use that a lot with both 2.79 and 2.83…works flawlessly in 2.79, while 2.89 needs to have geometry already in the scene, or else you get an error, but I think there was a fix somewhere as well for that…have to check that again though.

It´s perhaps better than saving out and reload, yes…I actually sort of had in my mind that it didn´t maintain the weightmap, but it did, so yeah…a slightly better workflow actually for 2015.3 or 2019.5 and sending to blender 2.79.3 for fluid emission.

Still would be even better to be able to relink the object direcly in a file path dialog, or refresh when you update the object in another software, just avoiding copy and paste or load in to scene and relinking, the less steps, the better of course.

A similar GoZ, but GoB would be nice.

I think now is the time go gather resources and places where the pipeline of working with both Lightwave and blender would be nice to have properly organized, there are various places, facebook and even here…but to somehow put all the links and pages together, many of the lightwavers Including me that wants to maintain Lightwave and send or share assets between the programs.

Currently testing some of the blender flip fluids in 2.83 sending to Lightwave …the basic obj anim export, I need to solve resurfacing per object sequence, there´s some plugins for that though which I need to install.
Could of course render in blender, but I prefer the volume item for larger cloud fields, rather than blenders volume approach and noise fields, which in fact is quite slow as well, tried a cloud setup scen with all that setup already…so …I have to research a bit more on all that.
Fluid clouds, well …it needs to be cloned, and reused…but may still lack that style you get from larger cloud fields, skyscapes.

so a lot of nature projects I guess, while it will not be the only scheduled plans for my use with blender and lightwave.

Thanks for the reminder.