Replicating stained wood cabinet finish

I am trying to replicate the finish on my companies’ cabinets for more realistic renders. I am struggling because I am trying to represent a real door/finish in a convincing way, not merely in a way that is pretty to look at.

Here are three examples of a sample door - the real thing.

Wood type is cherry. I have tried using a procedural wood and while I can make something that might be pretty, it doesn’t look like our cabinets. So I resorted to taking pictures of the actual stained wood and using that for my textures. But trying to replicate the finish on it so it reflects light properly is eluding me. This is particularly noticeable on animations and where light from close windows hits the face of the cabinet. I created a texture but I either feel the reflections are two gloss or two matt. the color starts to look flat and dull unless I put what looks like a high gloss on the door.

Any experts mind sharing how they would go about trying replicate a door like this?

One problem I am sure is not helping is that I don’t have the time to render at super high samples when I am doing tests or animations, so I end up using a lot of denoising. That probably is killing my accuracy.

So this is one of the kitchens I made:

And this is a closeup of the door finish:

When doing animations where the lighting changes and or the camera is close to the cabinetry, it just loses its realism.

Finally, I am trying to do an animation like this test of one of our painted doors in this finish:
0001-0162.mkv (4.5 MB) (Just a segment as it said my longer one was too big)

I see that your material is missing normal maps and bump maps. I will be perfect after applying them.

Also use some kind of subtle surface imperfection to give realism after that. And as I see, from the pictures, your wood material roughness changes depending on the areas of the wood the varnish is applied to. Try using the same bump map you create to work with the roughness of the material. Use a color ramp to tweak the influence of the map.

In the pictures you sent you can see that the small imperfections are important if you want to make the renders look realistic.

Also take in account that how distant the object is from the camera will affect the ability of the render to reproduce those tiny details. Also the denoiser will wash some away.

if you problem is more evident in the close ups it’s really because you don’t have those maps well set. Normally it’s easier to have good realism from close than from far, if the material is well done.

Thanks, I will work more on my bump/normal maps. I did create and apply very lightly a noise generated bump map, but it wasn’t doing what it needed. I’m new enough to blender that there is a world of info I am still trying to learn.

In the case of photo based wood textures it’s better to use those textures to create your bumps, normals and roughness otherwise they will follow a different pattern and will look fake and it’s exactly what you don’t want. Use procedural maps when your materials are also procedural or when you mix that procedural pattern with your color maps, that is not the case.

I’ll give it a shot using just the textures I created, but I’ll probably try to get pictures that are better quality. Thanks for that advice.

My work in progress…

1 Like

You are welcome.

how is that at the close-ups?