Reproducing the Japanese Animation look in blender

So far I’ve got process down I think. I need to do a few more of these to get better. A full animation, not just a head turn, would be good. I am going to need to learn how to learn how to put music or sound in. I noticed a lot of what I see on blender grease pencil’s stuff is ruff animations. Not very high quality production level. Very sketchy stuff. So I wanted to see how far you can push blender to higher levels. I’m not the best but I am impressed to the moon with how much you can do. The thing I love the MOST about blenders grease pencil is being able to clean my lines up with sculpt mode. Anyway, I hope to do even better than this with my next animation.

17 Likes

Very nice! I would love to see some behind-the-scenes stuff and learn how you did this :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I don’t know if you’re allowed to link to IG but I have a reel that shows steps @Humanbeing

Also people have asked for a tutorial on IG and I am going to work on putting that out soon. It was insanely hard to do in the start, but I dug deeper and deeper and I think I got it down now.

1 Like

Yeah go ahead and link that reel, and when you get the tutorial done, you should add that here too! :smiley: Welcome to BA, by the way, you’ve really started off with a bang and an incredible first post :grin:

Awesome work! Love the style!

2 Likes

Thanks, I wasn’t sure about doing my own style since I was trying to do japanese animation reproduction so that’ll be my next animation. But I’m glad people don’t find the style too distracting at least for this example.

I went ahead and recorded this one. I’ll have to edit the video later.

3 Likes

Looking forward to seeing more of your process. I am also learning Blender to combine 2D and 3D.

1 Like

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

looks 100% handpainted to me , maybe use a basemesh to draw over to get the headturn consistent

1 Like

This is going to take a lot longer than I thought. Turns out I am not that good at speaking or editing video. I don’t want to make this sloppy either. Can’t wait to share this though. I’d love to see what people get out of it, also, I keep wanting to make this a really in depth look into blender grease pencil but that’ll have to be later. Anyway, I am going to try my best to get this done and not let it waste away as another WIP.

3 Likes