Request: Export to SMD files

Hi! I’ve been attempting to create a new storyline for Portal. However, I have found a need for a new model. Unfortunately, I don’t understand how to use the free Softimage Mod Tool that is recommended for use. So I was hoping that maybe one of you could help me by creating an exporter script that would export a blender scene to a .smd file. I would help, but I unfortunately have no idea how to write a script for this. A script of this kind would be very useful for many people, and would also allow blender to be one of the recommended programs for source modding. That would be awesome. So if anyone could help me out that would be great!

Here is a simple list of what i was thinking of…

• Script that when run, would export the current layer or selection to .smd format
  • GUI view that would allow the use to easily switch between the different types of .smd files

P.S there are scripts of this kind out there for 3DS Max and Maya. They show what would be needed for this script

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

There’s a recent exporter available that works great for props and animation, but might not be up to doing a replacement character model with shapekeys for Faceposer. I started a thread trying to find some coding support for SMD import/export at the beginning of July, but no luck yet.

THANK YOU SO MUCH! I can’t even tell you how great this is, all I needed the script for was animated models anyway. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. You have saved me sooooo much confusion and time. If I ever finish my mod for portal I’ll post it in the off-topic forum.

Once again THANK YOU.
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D