Request for Experianced Environment Artist

(spike1907) #1

Job Description and About the Project
You will be part of a team of other experienced artists working to create the environments for a Blender game currently in development, called “Bucky O’ Hare”. A few of you may recognize the name from an old cartoon series or comic book.
Currently the game will only be a multiplayer death match style (Campaign may be included later). There will be no pay or profit of any kind, as the game will be using the Blender GE, and will most likely be open source, and also copy-write issues. We hope to prove that we can create something that is fun to play, worth paying for, and also looks reasonable. We also want to bring some attention to the Blender game engine, and prove it to be a powerful tool.
Hopefully we can create a good game, gain some attention, and then start making games for profit. But don’t let the money blind you, as this is about the art. Just think of money as extra incentive to work more. Who knows, we may just pull a Valve (http://www.valvesoftware.com/) and turn into a professional game studio.
I am currently the lead and only environment artist on the team, and a few additional hands would be nice. Just to speed up production, and to have an overall higher quality of work. I’m actualy trying to build a team of 5 to 8 including myself.

Responsibilities:

-Model, UV, and texture world objects and environments.
-Lightmap scenes and objects. (Not necessarily required)
-Create simple collision geometry for environments. (Not necessarily required)
-Create the most amazing environments seen in any blender game to date!!! (VERY MUCH REQUIRED :P)

Requirements:
-High degree of skill in low-polygon or high-polygon modeling and UV mapping environments using Blender, or 3DS MAX
-Good Photoshop skills
-A good portfolio to show us your previous work.
-Strong art skills and conceptual work.
-Good teamwork and communication skills.

Other Desired Skills/Qualities:
-Light-mapping experience.
-Basic knowledge of Blender-Verse Integration

Well that’s just about it. Any questions you have, just post them here or e-mail me. If you want the job contact me at my Email or msn (listed below). I hate to say “NO” to a person, so please if you don’t think you have the time or don’t think you have the skill, don’t say you want the job, and make me feel guilty for saying your not good enough. :frowning:

Contact me:
-msn: [email protected]
-Email: [email protected]

(nehpets) #2

media ? video ? pictures ? proof ?

please…let us know why we should work for you…with more that just words.

(spike1907) #3

Sry if I came off as if this were a real job. Think of it more as volunteer work. Like I said it is currently in development. There is hardly anything finished right now except for character models. Im just trying to recruite more team members so we can get more content made

if you want to know more about the story that this game is inspired by.
go here. Its a large Bucky O’ Hare fan site
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/8850/bucky.htm

And here is the latest post by Abracsis (Team Lead) It is just an update thread only showing character models.
http://www.elysiun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52717

Im sry if this isn’t enought to show you right now. But there is nothing else to show, because nothing is made. WHICH IS WHY I AM POSTING THIS!

anything else you want. post it

(nehpets) #4

sorry if i sounded mean/harsh.

there’s alot of people who have “game idea’s” that totally fall through the floor and we never hear of them again. i really think this is a great idea…

(spike1907) #5

Yea its all good

Yea I knew somebody was gona mention game ideas that just never get finished or are never heard of again. I know exactly what you are talking about, and it pisses me off. Its cus these small teams run into problems that they dont know how to fix or dont think it is worth all the effort. Its mainly programming issues too. Which isnt a problem for us. We have several guys on the coding side, along with me doing a few things here and there. But they are freaking geniuses and have almost all of the really hardcore code pieces of the game already figured out.

I realy dont think that this game project will “totally fall through the floor”. But then again I bet many people working on game projects say the same.
But they usualy dont plan to make it there proffession. They just do it for a hobby. Where as myself and a few other people want to get into the industry and actualy get a job doing this kind of stuff, because it is what we love to do

And if this game does get finished It may not be revolutionary for the entire game industry. But it definatly will be for GameBlender. I have quite a line up for new technology in the Blender GE, which I am dying to show to the rest of the Blender comunity :smiley:
But Abracsis is telling me to hold off and not let it leak out, so that the game will have more of a visual impact.

BTW: for some reason your Avatar looks so freaking COOL! :stuck_out_tongue:

(BrianH) #6

Honestly, I have seen plenty of these “game ideas” just vanish, and have yet to see a completed project. Maybe you can come off on a different approach and get to work on it, show off some teasers and clips here and there as not to completely exploit the all secret plot (which many projects claim mainly because there is no plot). It’s going to be hard to get anyone interested if everything is behind curtains the whole time. Look at Project Orange, it’s the best thing that happened to Blender. Not only because they have the top developers working on it and are adding the coolest new features to the application along the way, but they are opening every bit of information to the public right down to the making of the movie. Why be scared to let people in on the project details. It’s the lack of detail that will shun someone away from what could have been an awesome project. I think if you start showing people progress and the real desire to finish what you start, you will get far and much more respect from the rest of the community.

Best of luck.

(BrianH) #7

btw, I personally would have a problem with someone making money off of my work without being cut in on the deal.

We hope to prove that we can create something that is fun to play, worth paying for, and also looks reasonable.

So you’re looking for people to do your job so you can sell a product created by the community for your own profit? I don’t get it. Seems very scandalous and crude in a way.

I don’t mean to sound rude, but come on, this just doesn’t sound right to me.

(spike1907) #8

Ok BrianH did you not read my post of me saying that there is nothing made yet? So therefore there is nothing to show. And about plot. There is none. Because there is no story. Like I said it is only a multiplayer shooter. All there is to show right now is some character models, which I posted a link to. There would be more pictures of maps and such. But its not all made yet, Its all just in sketchbooks and on notepaper. The current lack of environment work is why I started this thread, to try and get some additional people on the team to work with. Additional people and ideas make things go faster and ususaly look better.

btw, I personally would have a problem with someone making money off of my work without being cut in on the deal.

Mabey my saying that there would be no pay or profit of any kind wasnt specific enough for you. when I say that, I mean that the game will be FREE!! NOBODY will be making any money from it!

If we where to sell this game for money, we want it to be a game that people people would be willing pay money for. Instead of just getting a copy for free off a torrent or from a friend.

The game will be free, thats final!
But in the future if we manage to keep a consistent team together, then why not start making commercial games for a profit. Ive been a loyal blender user ever since the first week of 2.25. And a member of the GE community. God damn! Im not gona try to rip you off.

This is kinda unnecessary to say. But it has never been soo hard to recuit members for a team to work on a game. Im not even the Team Lead, and im doing work for them, along with a bunch of programers. Im currently the only FX and good environment artist they got.

But on the other hand, I see where your coming from. Not wanting others to take your work is exactly what you need to be thinking. I would call you a fool if you thought otherwise.

And stop with the god damn game projects that simply dissapear!
What? You dont think that during my years doing this that I havn’t seen that!? We will succeed we will be the first! Just cus it hasnt happend yet dont mean it cant happen at all. Everything has to start sometime.

I am willing to bet my life on it.

(MrMuscly) #9

That’s the spirit man! I’d have joined you if I had the skills and experience for it. Today I will only be able to wish you the best of progress with this game!

(spike1907) #10

HEY THX MAN!!! :smiley:

(spike1907) #11

Ya know…
…With all the talented people on here, I would think I could get at least 1 person who is willing to contribute to the game.

(Roy) #12

Just a thought, have you checked that the name ‘bucky o hare’ is not copyright? Be a shame to work long on a project and then get it pulled by the copyright holder!

Also, slightly off topic, if people want to make a ‘simple’ game that would be used, consider making single switch games for disabled people. I have used blender to make the sprites in my games for single switch use some details and the downloads on http://www.brillsoft.com/Index_files/Page396.htm

(spike1907) #13

Hmm I have thought about the copyright stuff kinda in the back of my head. I think it is legal as long as we dont sell it or try to make a profit from the original authors intelectual works.

§ 506. Criminal offenses5

(a) Criminal Infringement. - Any person who infringes a copyright willfully either -

###(1) for purposes of commercial advantage or private financial gain, or

###(2) by the reproduction or distribution, including by electronic means, during any 180-day period, of 1 or more copies or phonorecords of 1 or more copyrighted works, which have a total retail value of more than $1,000,

shall be punished as provided under section 2319 of title 18, United States Code. For purposes of this subsection, evidence of reproduction or distribution of a copyrighted work, by itself, shall not be sufficient to establish willful infringement.

(b) Forfeiture and Destruction. - When any person is convicted of any violation of subsection (a), the court in its judgment of conviction shall, in addition to the penalty therein prescribed, order the forfeiture and destruction or other disposition of all infringing copies or phonorecords and all implements, devices, or equipment used in the manufacture of such infringing copies or phonorecords.

© Fraudulent Copyright Notice. - Any person who, with fraudulent intent, places on any article a notice of copyright or words of the same purport that such person knows to be false, or who, with fraudulent intent, publicly distributes or imports for public distribution any article bearing such notice or words that such person knows to be false, shall be fined not more than $2,500.

(d) Fraudulent Removal of Copyright Notice. - Any person who, with fraudulent intent, removes or alters any notice of copyright appearing on a copy of a copyrighted work shall be fined not more than $2,500.

(e) False Representation. - Any person who knowingly makes a false representation of a material fact in the application for copyright registration provided for by section 409, or in any written statement filed in connection with the application, shall be fined not more than $2,500.

(f) Rights of Attribution and Integrity. - Nothing in this section applies to infringement of the rights conferred by section 106A(a).

(Roy) #14

A quick search pulled up this…
Bucky O’Hare and the Toad Wars” and all related characters not debuting in the Web Series are © Neal Adams and Continuity Studios

Might be worth contacting them and asking permission, otherwise you have to respond if asked to remove copyright images, characters ect.

I have been advised of this in relation to some tutorials I produce, which include a sci-fi ‘character’ if the copyright holder asks me to I would have to change it to something else. This would not be to much of a problem in my case, but if you have designed a whole game around it…

Not trying to damp your enthusiasm, good luck with your project!

(Jason van Gumster) #15

Be wary of that. I’m not a lawyer, but I know some tricks can be played. For instance, your use of a copywritten character in a freely distributed video game could be construed as preventing them from making a profit from their intellectual property in the video game market. The logic being that if there’s a free game available, why would anyone pay for one? Granted, it only really becomes an issue if your game gets popular enough to show up on their legal radar, but getting permission ahead of time may save you a bit of trouble in the future if it turns out that your game is really good.

(spike1907) #16

Ok, talked to Abracsis and he says he has already checked and made shure that we are all good and clear.

So we are all good to go. As long as we dont sell it. :smiley: