Request for some basic modelling tips please

Hi

I have been tinkering with Blender for a few weeks now, I was hoping in the future to be able to create some models for importing into an existing DirectX flightsim game. (not referring to the blender game engine)

I havent been able to find any tutorials that give some basic simple rules to make the models suitable and compatible with a 3d game.

If I try and jot down some basic rules, hopefully someone can confirm or correct

1. Keep vertices down to a sensible minimum, depends on the model of course but <2000 or so as a ballpark figure

2. Regards texturing, use only UV mappings, do not use procedural textures, eg rgb colours, ramp shaders, specular maps bump maps etc etc.

3. Keep UV texture map sizes to a power of 2 and square, eg 512x512, 1024*1024 etc

4. Suitable sizes for texture maps again will depend on the model, for example is it a main plane model in the game or is an insignificant small model of a house that will only be seen in the background
    When in doubt err on the side of making a large texture map as that can be later scaled down and still retain detail. Scaling up a map that is too small with not create detail.

5. This one I dont know the answer too. If creating say a vehicle with 4 wheels, I model the first wheel and then create 3 copies, but how should I create the copies ? Should I create a full copy (Shift D) or create a new instance (Alt D). Does it matter ? or maybe it will be dependent on the particular game engine you want to import the model into ?

6. Again not sure of this one, when creating models should I try to avoid triangles in favour of quads ? Maybe again this will depend on the specifics of the game engine you are trying to import the model into ?

7. Some notes on how to do UV maps with portions as transparent alpha textures would be nice too as I havent figured that one out at all yet :frowning:

Please feel free to correct all my errors, I am sure there are lots of other rules that I havent even considered, please add those too

Regards Geoff

Good luck with your flight sim :wink:

yes definately should be, although in the Blender game engine, I try to keep the models less than 1000 verts

1. Regards texturing, use only UV mappings, do not use procedural textures, eg rgb colours, ramp shaders, specular maps bump maps etc etc.

yes again

1. Keep UV texture map sizes to a power of 2 and square, eg 512x512, 1024*1024 etc

yes again

1. Suitable sizes for texture maps again will depend on the model, for example is it a main plane model in the game or is an insignificant small model of a house that will only be seen in the background
    When in doubt err on the side of making a large texture map as that can be later scaled down and still retain detail. Scaling up a map that is too small with not create detail.

yes again

1. This one I dont know the answer too. If creating say a vehicle with 4 wheels, I model the first wheel and then create 3 copies, but how should I create the copies ? Should I create a full copy (Shift D) or create a new instance (Alt D). Does it matter ? or maybe it will be dependent on the particular game engine you want to import the model into ?

[Shift]+[D]

1. Again not sure of this one, when creating models should I try to avoid triangles in favour of quads ? Maybe again this will depend on the specifics of the game engine you are trying to import the model into ?

You can use triangles! as the wise man once said “triangles are ok” -@ndy

1. Some notes on how to do UV maps with portions as transparent alpha textures would be nice too as I havent figured that one out at all yet :frowning:

use a lossless format, for textures, (png, tga) and If they have an alpha channel (eg: png RGBa) then it should show up in Blender transparent, you will probably need to fiddle around with the texture face tab in edit buttons (UV face select), try the button “Alpha” next to Opaque and Add

hi Alex

Thanks for the reply, I got a surprising amount of yes’s there :smiley:

I forgot one

8} I think I should avoid subsurfing, as that wont be understood by a game engine ?

But what about set smooth and set solid, obviously if I have the vehicle wheel for example it will be lowish poly and look better with set smooth on, but will a typical game engine understand that switch when exported from Blender ?

Thanks again

Geoff

yes you should avoid subsurfacing.

Also, set smooth is another word for Gouraud shading, if it doesn’t export, then try to find something in the GE you’re using about Gouraud shading