Research About game developers (I need your help!)

Hi Guys, I’m making a research about the game developers behavior (for my college) and I need your help!

I need to collect some data (absolutelly anonymous, don’t worry about this) asking some questions to you (via google forms). Everyone who has already developed a game (even a simple game) can answer the form. It takes less than 5 minutes!

Link:
https://goo.gl/forms/9wPE4CxuuzUc07Z83

Filled it out. Thanks for asking!

Done.

Btw @ "Who produces the game’s art and sound effects? "
Needs an other option, Me/Team and 3rd party.

Done,
amazing game

i love my dog and watch jav

Filled it out…maybe later show the results?:slight_smile:

I filled it in twice: once for work and once for hobby, as there are some differences.

However, some notes on questions:
On average, how many softwares you or your team uses to develop a game?
One one hand, I could answer 4 - the ones I use to develop the game:

• gimp for art
  • audacity for audio
  • blender for engine and models
  • geany as a text editor

However, if I investigate more deeply, I could add quite a few others - the ones used to support the development of the game:

• Make for organising the build system
  • python (and a huge number of libraries) for specific build automation tasks (eg resizing images from the artists)
  • Git for version control
  • pylint for code quality control
  • dia for designing software architecture
  • styluslabs write for conceptual design and jotting down ideas
  • libreoffice or latex for presentable documents
  • taiga for project management (for work - although something like this for hobby development would be fantastic)
  • skype for team communication (soon to be replaced by something else - I hope)
  • linux for running everything on top of (along with it’s software stack)

Do you prefer paid or free softwares?
I don’t mind paid or free, so long as it’s open source. Why? Have you ever read the license agreement for Unreal or Unity? You’ll probably never use them again if you do. I also abhor subscription models. I want to pay for it and then it should be mine to do with as I please.

Which part of game development you think it’s the most important?
Software Architecture, hands down. I consider this different to “game design” as “game design” tends to be about the interactions with the player. While game design is hugely important for the success of your game as a product, a poor software architecture will doom your project to end up as an incomplete bug-filled mess. The more time spent planning and working on the architecture before starting, the better your project will turn out.

However, for “success” in terms of making money from the game, marketting is the most important and far trumps everything else.

To you, which one is the best way to program your games
With pen and paper, your brain, and plenty of thinking - before you touch the keyboard or mouse. For either of them, the software should be understood before being written, and the method of writing is independent. This tends to co-operate more with typed systems, as you can design it all and then type it all out very fast. Visual systems tend to be more ‘freeflow’ and better at experimental development.

To you, which one is the best way to program your games
With pen and paper, your brain, and plenty of thinking - before you touch the keyboard or mouse. For either of them, the software should be understood before being written, and the method of writing is independent. This tends to co-operate more with typed systems, as you can design it all and then type it all out very fast. Visual systems tend to be more ‘freeflow’ and better at experimental development.

When it comes to programming my Game i use pen and paper 1st be4 i put any thing in python !!! This technique is very helpful as. There will likely be less mistakes in your code for the Game and also it enables you to create and design proper systems, systems that will make your game function quite well.

However BGE and UPBGE are all abt Blending so i blend Visual programming and Code based to balance the Gameplay. Thks to blenders logic bricks iam able to balance the visual programming of the game and also the code based programming of the game with both equal and not one dominating the other. (they must be both Fair for the game to run in its perfect state)

Fred/K.S