research study, please take a minute to respond to poll!

Hi folks,

I’m performing a little internet research to determine certain demographics of the Blender community. Forum polls may not be the most accurate forms of research study, but this will really help me get a general idea. I’m hoping to get a lot of respondants to this poll, so please take ten seconds to read through and choose one of the poll options.

Thanks a ton!
spiderworm

where is the poll?

Hopefully you see it now? The forum software forces me to create the post first, and then add the poll.

spidey

answered!
Hi spiderworm, what kind of research is it? an academic project, or to assess something for development/etc?

Thanks for answering, slikdigit.

This is research to help understand new Blender users’ previous experience and help authors determine their target market as they write new books and other documentation.

spiderworm

Answered!

• I had no previous 3D art experience or 2D art experience. *

cheers! :slight_smile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greboide http://blenderartists.org/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif
where is the poll?

Hopefully you see it now? The forum software forces me to create the post first, and then add the poll.

spidey

i can see clear now, i didnt knew about that, and thought strange, he asks for help and i cant find any poll, anyway its clear now, ive answered it.

Thanks venomgfx and greboide, and to everyone else that has responded thus far.

spidey

Answered, but …

…It seems very equal. I wonder if it can help you…
Good luck :slight_smile:

Equal is good too. If it ends out that way, it supports the theory that all groups need equal focus :slight_smile:

spidey

Well i answered no experience.

Your poll is flawed.

1. I had no previous 3D art experience or 2D art experience.
  2. I had no previous 3D art experience, but had experience in either traditional or digital 2D art.
  3. I had less than a years experience in using other 3D art tools before starting with Blender.
  4. I had a year or more of experience using 3D art tools when I started with Blend

Selecting either 3 or 4 would lead people into believing that professional tools were used, e.g. MAYA, MAX, etc.

But by the same token 3 or 4 could be selected if you used
spatch, hemmapatch, jpatch, moray, povray, bmrt etc.

Clearly the members of the first group are very different that the members of the second group. In fact Blender itself has transgressed from the second group to the first.

Luis

looks like it’s around 1/4 each… interesting to know

i used floorplan software, hardly 3d, but it was 3d :wink: so i said i had some experience.

Alltaken

I used Videoscape3D in 1988 which was the precursor to LightWave. Then I used Imagine on the Amiga. Later I used 3D Stiudop Max on the PC. And now I use Blender on a Mac.

Looks like almost a dead heat.

Personally, I’d reword it so as to include traditional filmmaking and stop motion animation under 2, although there’s nothing “2D” about those things.

as a potent wiki contributor, this helps, even if unscientific. What the poll tells me and what I need to know is that I need to write on the whole spectrum, from noob to pro. bummers.