Reset to Default Value doesn't respect my Node Group's manually set defaults

I’m finding that my Node Groups’ input fields’ manually set default values are respected when I add them to a Material, but not when I use the contextual menu’s ‘Reset to Default Value’ option.

As an example, I have a Node Group with a color field whose defaults I set to R=1, G=0.5, B=1, A=1. If I add this group to a material, those are the values the field shows up with.

But if I then reset the field to its defaults it turns into R=0, G=0, B=0, A=0.

Just in case it’s got to do with it being linked to any sub-nodes inside the group’s own defaults, I’ve made sure that they are consistent, to no avail.

I might be missing something here. Could anyone shed some light on how the Node Groups’ Default Values are supposed to work?

(I’m on Blender v2.83.3)

I suspect what is meant by “Reset to Default Values” is “Reset to Factory Defaults” which kind-of precludes rewinding to the settings you have for your custom group.

Perhaps the only solution is to detach your group, toss it, and replace it with a ‘fresh’ version of your group with its defaults. It’s a kludge, I know, but such is the burden we bare (bear?) as 3D artists.

I’ll try creating a throwaway node group and doing some testing. Thanks.

This is interesting: I hadn’t noticed before that non-group nodes suffer from the same problem. If you add a Diffuse BSDF node, it’ll appear with a Color input set to RGBA = 0.8 0.8 0.8 1. If you Reset it to default value, it’ll turn into RGBA = 0 0 0 0.

I wonder if this is some kind of bug.