Restoring Grandpa's Trolley

High above the city streets, among the buildings intertwined with cables, a mechanic takes a mid-morning break from his routine.

Hello! My name is Sam, and I’ve been working on this scene on and off for the better part of 5 years.
Now I’m finally ready to call it done and share it with all of you!

I was inspired by the idea of a world in which cars don’t exist, replaced instead by a network of trolley cables that interconnect an entire city. Each person would have their own trolley car that they would use to get around, suspended on these cables that connect every apartment and destination, on every floor. I wanted to evoke a steam-punk/diesel-punk aesthetic, and I’m hoping that comes through!

Here is a shot with afternoon lighting, as well as a slightly modified alternate view of the morning:

Here are some more detail shots around the scene:

All of this was done entirely within Blender, across a few different versions (2.8x-2.9x). I created all assets, save for a few textures. Textures are primarily procedural or painted, with just a few photo textures I found online.

Thank you checking it out, and I hope you like it!

This is just my thumbnail! What are you doing in here?

31 Likes

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

You’re on the #featured row! :+1:

Awesome! Thank you so much, @bartv!

1 Like

Absolutely love the idea and visualization! And that grand makes it even better for me lol, although it seems a bit small in comparison to the rest…

1 Like

Thanks a lot!

Yeah, everything is modeled to the correct size, but the scene’s scale looks a little weird in places because everything in this room, as well as the room itself, is massive. The trolley is basically the size of a pickup, but I didn’t want it to dwarf the space. That, combined with the significant differences in distance from camera (exacerbated by the massive room), makes it look a little wonky.

Nice​:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

1 Like

Like it I love it. Nice dedication to our art of 3D. This is well done. Well worth the time and effort.

1 Like