Rethinking categories

It’s only problematic in the sense that I, for one, have other issues to solve first. I don’t have time to get involved in this conversation right now, sorry. The moderators team is also busy ‘learning the ropes’ of the new site, so I really think you should postpone this - we can’t do everything at once.

1 Like

The purpose of that subcategory was originally for people to announce their scripts and themes. Support for them would happen either in the Support forums or in the announcement threads themselves. Of course, this was before Blender Market was launched an developers started posting their announcements in the Latest News section.

I don’t think there’s a huge benefit (or any benefit at all) to going with single-word categories. While they are shorter to read and can be clear, that’s not always the case. I would take verbose and long over short and vague any day. It’s not like we’re hurting for screen real estate.

This. Very much this.

When can we come back to that subject?

Part of this has been under discussion with respect to the categories in the Game Engine section. I think that if we do eventually decide to re-organize the categories here, it makes the most sense to do it near the official release of Blender 2.80.

Ok, patience, patience…
Just one recommendation, ok?
what do you think about a new category dedicated to publishing products for blender artists (assets and other resources)? Currently we use several tags but many times they are not included, thus letting the topic drown in Finished Projects. Plus now that BA has a grid gallery mode, such a category would be more relevant than it would’ve been in the old website.

That’s essentially what the Promotions category should be for, it’s accessible for commercial supporters on Patreon

1 Like

I don’t mean necessarily a category for paid products. Free products should go there too. The main purpose is to improve searchability. Many times products don’t have keywords or tags that allow to identify them as products.
Making such a category inaccessible for non supporting users wouldn’t really solve that issue.
Adding a public category souldn’t affect the relevancy of the promotion category too much though, as this one would still be used for special offers and requests for header advertisement.
What do you think?

We have a category for released scripts, so add-ons are at least already covered. As for asset packs and things like that, I’d rather just include a tag than make a category.

1 Like

In that case I’d like if we @moderators all educate the OPs whenever we stumble upon a product in Finished Projects that doesn’t have the proper tags. Mainly #downloadable, #free or #commercial, #creative-commons
I can’t do it alone and if such products don’t have any of these tags it gets more difficult to find them (at least for me).

1 Like