Retopology

From what I can tell, I should be retopologizing by going over a sculpture with a really simple mesh, baking the sculpture into a normal map, and faking the shading of the details on the retopologized mesh. If I’m correct, I must still be doing something wrong if my mesh ends up looking like this:

Some parts are shiny, the chin is real misaligned, and the shading for the arms isn’t showing up like the abs are. Did I do something wrong? Is there a way to remedy this?

I bake in substance painter so not sure on settings here. Problems can come if the geometry of the low poly is too far away from the original high poly. Maybe margin settings affect this. Are your normals facing the right way? Try tweaking some bake settings and see the different results

Different shading (smooth and flat ) ? Different normal orientation (Viewport Overlays → Face orientation) ??

I don’t think the low poly mesh is too far from the high poly mesh. Unless there’s something more than shrinkwrapping that I can do?

Trying to change the island margins of the UVs made it worse. Are you talking about a different kind of margin?

The normals for both models are completely blue on the outside and red on the inside. I would guess that I would want them to face the same way.

Lowering extrusion worked for the chin…somewhat, at least. But everything is still shiny. What’s substance painter? I think I’m gonna try using that for my next project.

I changed both shading to smooth. Still shiny. The normal map didn’t change, though. Is it supposed to have an effect?

Normal orientation looks normal. Is the red supposed to be on the inside?

Yes, you should only see blue faces

1 Like

Yes sorry it won’t be the island margin. In substance painter you can set the distance that it will look for the higher topology model to bake from. The frontal and rear distance using a cage. Not sure if blender has these settings…

To close this off: Shiny Surface From Baking Normals - #2 by SourLemon100000