Retro Diner Environment

I really love making sets and props and this was my first attempt at anything on this scale. It took me three weeks to complete and I’m super happy with how it turned out but as always, there’s more to learn so I’d love to hear any suggestions and comments to help me improve!

7 Likes

you really done a great job modelling all these different kinds of objects, and im sure you learned in the production!

But of course there are some things to correct,

the modelling is maybe acceptable for a wide shot but in close ups, like your last published render the flaws of your model are visible and destroying your hard work. On several objects you didnt really get the proportions and curves right. For example this purple kind of ice machine, I cant even tell what it should portray :confused:

Materials are not top as well, some textures like on the chairs (wood and fabric) seem very flat. You can extract out of almost every picture a roughness and bump map, alone these two will pump up your realism in this picture. I really like your floor!

Coposition: I dont know if your goal was to create a cool render or use this scene for something else like a game or so, but it isnt lit very good and the huge color palette is a bit overwhelming.

Im very distant from what I would call an expert, thats why I want to use your scene as exercise. I try to produce the best result with improvement of lighting. We could both learn out of this! In case you want to send me your scene; you can use this https://blend-exchange.giantcowfilms.com/ to upload files!

2 Likes

Thanks for your thoughts! I did learn a lot doing this yes, but you can always get better right.

How would I go about getting roughness and bump maps from a texture image?

My goal was just to make a cool render, and learn. Not using it for anything else but totally agree my lighting skills are not the best. Any thoughts you have would be great.

I’m happy to send you the file, but I tried using the link you sent and it’s too big. Do you have any other suggestions?

There is a way to make your blender files smaller, I currently can’t send you a link, but you can Google about it.

1 Like

Great critique so far, I’ll add that the objects are all too uniform. You need to give it more variety.

1 Like

To create roughness and bump maps, the easiest way is to do it right in the node editor. Connect your texture to a color ramp and plug the result into the roughness slot. Play around with the color ramp to get a decent result. The best way is to unplug the color at first and make the color of your principled shader black so that you can focus und your roughness map. In the look dev mode you can see the result on your object in realtime and you can twaek the color ramp. With the map you can drive the value four each pixel on your texture. Black means 0 whereas white means 1. So you have to search for a nice balance in between.

In this video it’s explained very well:

1 Like

Had a quick Google last night and it mentioned the compression option in the user preferences. I tried that but it didn’t seem to do anything. Am I missing something, or do you have a better idea?

Thanks!

DUDE! Mind blown. I always thought you needed the seperate files to create bump maps, etc. This is incredible, thank you so much for sharing! I’m going to use this technique on this render and see what I can create!

1 Like

Hey me again,
Sry for the longer time. How big is your file in particular, maybe you have some kind of simulation data in your scene or useless objects which pump up the filesize. If that’s not the case, you could use dropbox, in case you have that.

All the texturing advice will go a long way in this scene. A simple way I found to help out with scenes where a lot of the objects are identical is simply to add some variety to movement. For example, the chairs are all the same distance apart from each other and the table, and the napkin holders are all exactly center on the tables. Just moving these around a little bit breaks up the uniformity and gives a more organic feel.

That said, you can tell all the hard work you put into this. If this is your first attempt at a full scene I’d say it’s a success!