Reverse editing & augementation of 360 equirectangular images

Hi,

I am working on a 360 degree product configurator which uses equirectangular images as base.

While it’s easy to render out different material choices as a set of 360 renderings based on a full 3D model, I wonder how to do this if the base where to be an actual 360 equirectangular photo.

Say you have the 360 photo of a room and you are asked to produce material selections for alternative floor materials or wall colors.
You can not simply do this in Photoshop or similar software as the equirectangular images are very distorted when unwrapped. This gets even more difficult if the floor has patterns such as wood planks.

Has anyone else done this? How did you do it?

I envision to create a sphere, map the 360 image as texture on it is the start, and work with a 3d model of the new material inside of this sphere, but how do you go on from there?
The intention is to render the new materials out in such a way that the resulting equirectangular Png file shows only those areas which are changed and is transparent in the rest of the areas.
That way one can overlay it in the 360 VR tour software of choice.

The tricky part is to create the new materials 3D geometry in such a way that it matches the existing equirectangular image later. I. e. the new floor material covers the old.
How does one do this 360 photomatch?

Thanks for your ideas and input!

could be a good start for you to create models over the 360.
and use your modelised part as masks in a new 360 rendering. making them holdout layers.

apart that it’s done in a blender previous version. The technique is the same and work fine in whatever version you use.

Well thank you! That is very helpful!!

1 Like

try to estimate the position of your camera in the real world. you ll obtain better results

Yes I’m doing that.