Revised head-tutorial? Not?

Hi!

I was wondering, assuming some people actually found some use for it, if there’s any idea for me to revise my old headmodeling-tutorial (see sig.) I’ve recently started using Blender frequently again, experimenting with a sligthly different topology, that should be better suited for animation purposes. I might actually make it a bit more detailed than the last version. But, I know there are already quite a few tutorials on the subject out there, so I’m just wondering - should I bother?

Seriously I think you shouldn’t even ask this question :wink:
As a basis, I’d say that every tutorial is always welcome. Further, every head modeling tutorial is very welcome, for newbies and seasoned modelers alike.
Your tutorial is good. If you update it for the new tools and modeling skills newly gained, then you are sure to make at least one blenderhead happy: me! But I’m sure that there are many more blenderheads interested :slight_smile:

Seriously I think you shouldn’t even ask this question

Well, I’d hate to waste time writing it, if no one finds it useful:-? Of, course that’s kinda hard do decide anyways, since i haven’t written it yet 8) However, it would be more of a revision anyways. But I guess you’re right, One more couldn’t hurt, I guess. Thanks :slight_smile:

yes, more tutorials is never bad, especially on head modelling. I’m trying to expand my abilities into organic modelling so I’d definitely use it :slight_smile:

Definitely!!! It always should be published in here.
Please, please do it again and again, and pretty soon all of us will produce new tutorials for the next beginners!
Alex.

Bellorum,

I like your tutorial, and have been working with it yesterday, but I am stuck on the 12th step (the step where you carve out the eyes.) I quote “While we’re at it, hide the backfacing vertices as well, and then select all, cut <K> around the eyesocket …” Using which tool? When you press K you get different options. I just can’t seem to get around the eyes. Please elaborate. Everytime I use face loop cut I get straight cuts not round ones like yours. Thanks.

Kayhan

I like your tutorial, and have been working with it yesterday, but I am stuck on the 12th step (the step where you carve out the eyes.) I quote “While we’re at it, hide the backfacing vertices as well, and then select all, cut <K> around the eyesocket …” Using which tool? When you press K you get different options. I just can’t seem to get around the eyes. Please elaborate. Everytime I use face loop cut I get straight cuts not round ones like yours. Thanks.

First, I’m glad you like it:) Second, this is one of the reasons it needs to be revised:/ I used knife(exact) for the cut, but it won’t be very smooth - you’ll have to move around the verts afterwards.

Bellorum,

Thanks for the quick response. I’ll try the knife exact cut. I think I must have made a mistake somewhere because I did try that (knife exact cut), but I got these huge triangle polys as opposed to quad polys. Also, nowhere do you mention to weld the two halves together. At which point would you have done that? Thanks.

Kayhan

Also, nowhere do you mention to weld the two halves together. At which point would you have done that? Thanks.

As a rule not until you’re 99,9% done;) You should always keep it two halves as long as possible, since that enables you to model just one side=saving time, not to mention sanity;) Some (good) modelers then weld the two halves together and make subtle imperfections between sides, so as to make it more realistic (since one side of the face is always different from the other. Have a look in the mirror:) Also, if you’re serious about getting things exactly right, make sure you have some reference photos of the head from extreme angles and compare that to your 3d model. My heads never look right in 3/4 view after initial reference modeling:/

On a sidenote, the revised tutorial will have to be put on a hold, since I can’t decide on the best way to model. I’m a perfectionist, so I’m looking for a workflow that it’s both efficient as well as accurate. I usually scrap 75% of my models halfway and start over:/

edit: Which is why you never see my work at Elysiun;)