Reviving my library of old objects and meshes

With Blender 3.4.0 out, a lot of my older projects are obsolete. Now that I have procedural materials and better understanding of blender, and finally a kick-ass computer, I can clean house a bit. A sample of some of the items I discovered on old hard drives. I updated them (including the shelves). Everything is now proportional and scaled perfectly in real world measurements.

5 Likes

Somebody abandoned their cream cheese on the unrefrigerated shelf. The nerve of some people!

How’d you get the can label textures? Did you have a source that had them as flats, find a way to capture them, or just recreate them? Just wondering, because I’ve got some older cans I’d love to reproduce in 3D, but I don’t know any good ways for photographing and flattening out the cylindrical labels.

3 Likes

I scan most with a scanner (bog boxes require multiple scans). Photos with a camera as needed. If I am lucky, I’ll find a label online or partial label. I recreate labels from pieces downloaded.
The A1 bottle is the only label that I re-created from scratch in that picture, based on internet sources. I used Gimp and Corel PaintShop to do the text and graphics. Transparent PNG, for the curved label effect. and I made a mask in Corel for the gold leaf trim. The pop cans are just downloads and modified in GIMP to fit properly.

I find that leaving the scratches and damaged edges and corners alone, really makes the object look more realistic.

I wish there was a “label or product label” archive somewhere where we can upload and share labels.

2 Likes

I like this idea- you could make a wiki thread in Materials and Textures for this :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh, you meant round can labels.

My first action is to do a search on the internet.

In the old days I had to get multiple camera shots and artistically put them together, and photoshop the bad parts.

I also have an old hand scanner, but it only works with windows 95. I have an old PC for that purpose. And that usually is very difficult to do.

Now I have used tin shears and cut metal cans and flatten them, but still, it needs artist touchips after scanning them.

The can in the photo was paper wrapped around a cardboard cylinder and I was able to carefully peel it off and scan it.

There may be software out there to put a can on a turntable and get the image that way. The closest I have ever seen to do that is a program called Meshroom, but that is really not its function.

Meshroom is a cool program, you should give it a try. It is used to make realistic 3D objects from many photos. See my post here: Photogrammetry - My 1st Attempt