Rhetorical question.

What are people trying to accomplish by constantly starting ‘wat r ur opinions lol’ threads, given that, without fail, about 70% of them consistently devolve into screaming riots and that the other 30% accomplish nothing what-so-ever. Do they want to feel special for having people talk in their thread? Is it an attention grab? It’s completely futile and almost completely destructive, what-ever it is, so why do people do it?

I should mention this is not a matter of censorship, it’s a matter of common sense. Also, it’s rhetorical, so don’t bother answering this if you don’t want. Just ask yourself this, next time you think about starting a ‘vs.’ or ‘opinions’ thread.

Seriously, if you’re just starting a thread because you want people to fight/debate in it, with no end purpose, everyone would be way better off if you didn’t.

EDIT: And also for the people who accuse me of being un-fun: No I am not fun, assuming that hate-fests and riots are ‘fun.’

Oh black boi,
dont you know how to have any fun?

Let’s all start on Black Boe now!

That is why there is an off topic chat,
If it is supposed to be all blender all the time, why have an off topic chat?

An older lady gets pulled over for speeding…
Older Woman: Is there a problem, Officer?
Officer: Ma’am, you were speeding.
Older Woman: Oh, I see.
Officer: Can I see your license please?
Older Woman: I’d give it to you but I don’t have one.
Officer: Don’t have one?
Older Woman: Lost it, 4 years ago for drunk driving.
Officer: I see…Can I see your vehicle registration papers please.
Older Woman: I can’t do that.
Officer: Why not?
Older Woman: I stole this car.
Officer: Stole it?
Older Woman: Yes, and I killed and hacked up the owner.
Officer: You what?
Older Woman: His body parts are in plastic bags in the trunk if you want to see
The Officer looks at the woman and slowly backs away to his car and calls for back up. Within minutes 5 police cars circle the car. A senior officer slowly approaches the car, clasping his half drawn gun.
Officer 2: Ma’am, could you step out of your vehicle please! The woman steps out of her vehicle.
Older woman: Is there a problem sir?
Officer 2: One of my officers told me that you have stolen this car and murdered the owner.
Older Woman: Murdered the owner?
Officer 2: Yes, could you please open the trunk of your car, please.
The woman opens the trunk, revealing nothing but an empty trunk.
Officer 2: Is this your car, ma’am?
Older Woman: Yes, here are the registration papers.
The officer is quite stunned.
Officer 2: One of my officers claims that you do not have a driving license.
The woman digs into her handbag and pulls out a clutch purse and hands it to the officer.
The officer examines the license. He looks quite puzzled.
Officer 2: Thank you ma’am, one of my officers told me you didn’t have a license, that you stole this car, and that you murdered and hacked up the owner.
Older Woman: Bet the liar told you I was speeding, too.
Don’t Mess With Old Ladies
If you want to brighten someone’s day, pass this on to someone you know.
I just did!

Nice one.

Crunchy frog?

Crunchy frog - is that a good place to get jokes or something ?

nice story Kbot :slight_smile:

Not sure if the thread “quite a sobering thought” counts. Anyway, I do threads like that to learn a lot. Also some people do actually change their opinions. Not many, but some.

possibly a few, but the rest of it is just a complete waste of time and energy.

The problem with the ‘discussion threads’ is that you all know for a fact that they’re, as a majority, complete circuses.

if you are that desperate to discuss something, I’ve found that having conversations in small groups or 1-on-1 is much clearer and can (obviously there are no guarantees) contain more mutual respect than the free-for-all attacks and third-party heckling that seem to populate most broad discussion threads. Doing some kind of chat room or small CC message group would probably achieve a good deal more, with much less collateral damage.

Obviously there’s none of the fun and palaver of going around, proudly owning threads that have had lots of replies to them, but if the instigator actually wants to discuss something instead of just getting it started and getting the post-count prestige it shouldn’t be a problem.

Or possibly start an organized debate thread with a chairman to make sure things are kept within the realm of the sober.

Or possibly even at least even basic rules of conduct.

EDIT: ^ that people follow

I’d totally agree with one aspect - that of the post count & initiating of the thread with lots of replies!

Unfortunately you don’t know the ones that are worth it and the ones that aren’t.

I enjoy having to support my ideas. If I can’t I shouldn’t be holding them.

Other sites are a lot better. I mainly participate in ones here about evo and similar because I don’t like seeing such incorrect/slanderous statements pass.

In a small group is best but don’t forget the lurkers on internet forums. More for other sites than this, though.

Here is a good debate,
What hip hop group was better, in the old days, mid (90’s)
Bone Thugs and Harmony? Very good group. or Outkast? also a very good group.

I tend to get carried away occasionally in that sort of thread. It’s cause i post 5 paragraph diatribes on Digg every other day, tho… it’s a hard habit to break. I try not to be too offensive on here, tho - mostly due to the fact that i KNOW a lot of the viewers are youngsters.

I can also be snippy on the net because, generally, i’m only doing this when I’m too angry at my PC or Blender (yes, i know… heresy) to work, or I just got home from my ‘real’ job. In either case I’m cranky and it can tend to show through.

I never really listened to much Hip Hop, so unfortunately i will miss that debate, Salvadore. Unless the Beastie Boys count. I vote for the Beastie Boys!!

that works squiggly

I realize now why the post that big boi is talking about are bad,
and it is for the reason that they bump the new blender users very importent questions down to the bottom of the stack befor they have a fair chance at being addressed,
and they do the same thing to the latest finished projects and works in progress, and all the other threads that we are really here to read,
So big Boi, You are right, we need to stop wasting our time on thes silly “Off Topic” chating, that was intentionaly used for other interesting developments in technolagy, noy it is a free for all, what happened to BA folks?
This is the holy land for blender inquasitions, and art .
lets restore that befor it goes any further down hill,
Now this is my last off topic post, I hope

For the record, I never said any of those things.