Rhino=difficult...Blender=easy...help with texture!

Any Rhino gurus out there who can help us put an image on a plane, and then have this image-mapped plane be visible in the viewport, not necessarily the render? Easy in Blender, by defining the visibility type of the object…but where the heck can you define object visibility type in Rhino? I tried exporting the plane from Blender to preserve the UV coords, but no luck.

(Further clarification: we’re using the Rhino file as a way to show the development of spacial volumes over time, so we just click on a layer that has the building masses on it, in order of their appearance. The image map is simply the detailed plan image showing the basic layout of the building initially as the masses grow up over it. It will never be rendered.)

Eku, I’ve not got any experience with Rhino specifically, but in other CAD programs they’re called “decals” or something similar. Display modes vary also, but are usually selectable via the “view” menu or icons. Usually this functionality is very limited since that’s not what their main job is. (oooh, helpful, eh? :D)

A couple of alternatives that you’ve probably already considered and rejected, but what the hey: how about using the vector version of the building’s 2D plan (if you have one)? Thot #2 is to import all the geometry into blender and create an animation of it in which the “stages” appear sequentially as the camera flies around. I know its a “non-interactive” fixed output, but it could look waaaay better than OGL display if properly rendered. Or alternately, you could set things up in the game engine with a walk-thru and “switchable” visibility on the stages with some kind of interactive element to change that… I dunno.

Okay, I’ll shut up now. :expressionless:

Heh, yeah, if we could we would…I’d love to have had the option of doing it in Blender, but no go, it’s being done by another guy in the office who don’t do no Blender, no how. As it happens, another person in the office found the “visible in viewport” command, sort of…for those who care, she used a command called PictureFrame, which plops a bmp on a surface. Sadly, it seems you can’t use any alpha (see, its a bmp…). There is a decal command as well - but pictureframe seems to have worked, so, as we have a deadline, we’re good! Thanks, mzungu, for the response.

http://en.wiki.mcneel.com/default.aspx/McNeel/UVcWrap.html

is a UV-Unwrapper for Rhino from Clement Greiner.

there is also the Renderer Development Kit short called RDK for rhino which enables Boxmapping, Cylindrical etc. otherwise you only have ST mapping for the nurbs surfaces in rhino

Hi,

To place a bitmap in a Rhino viewport, go to View >>> Background Bitmap >>> Place.

To manipulate the bitmap, go to View >>> Background Bitmap again and select the relevant command.

WireFX, Simpo: thanks for the further info - since I’m not the “Rhino” guy in the office, I haven’t explored the possiblities yet. I’ll need to, when things go in that direction. The program seems to offer a lot in an area that Blender doesn’t really specialize (NURBS), and I’m excited to see that we can do some good UV mapping.

As it happens with our specific project, our guy took his presentation to the client meeting on a laptop, complete with the plan bitmapped as described above…and forgot that he needed the actual bitmap in a folder that Rhino could access to load the image! (If there’s a way to “pack” the image in Rhino, he didn’t do it.) He ended up with a blank plane, after all the fuss in creating the mapping! Sad, very sad.

Hi Eku!

As far as I know you cant bake textures into a *.3dm (rhinoFormat) file.

Rhino has a good Forum where you can ask Rhino questions

http://news2.mcneel.com/scripts/dnewsweb.exe?cmd=xover&group=rhino

you can also search this forum via archive

http://www.rhino3d.com/support/search.htm

PS: It is always good to make a testrun before facing the client :wink: