Rig clothes

Can someone help me how can i rig clothes like these?

1 Like

For the general part i would use something like that

The skirt is a little bit more difficult since it needs collision and stuff when the leg is getting in the way… In Game engines they rig the clothes as shown above and then the ends are a simulation… This is done by mixing the influence of the cloth simulation with a gradient so there is a smooth transition.

Maybe also this thread can help

I hope someone can give you more informations!

1 Like

One easy way to do it is to rig the body and then use the Data Transfer modifier to copy the vertex groups and weights over from the body to the clothes. With some corrective shapekeys, this almost always works.

A data transfer of weights is going to work okay for the torso, but there are going to be problems.

The sleeve/armpit area is going to be trouble, because the nearest face you’d be using to copy weights is likely to be the wrong face. You can make a temporary copy of your body mesh and separate out the arms +shoulder only, so that you can mix in a data transfer from arms only (via manually painted vertex groups on the clothing.)

It shouldn’t be a problem here, but it’s common to see the same kinds of problems at the groin and at the neck/head join, with the same kinds of solutions-- make temporary changes to meshes to get the modifiers to do what you want them to do.

As mentioned, the skirt isn’t going to work well with rig + weights from a basic human unless you’re just taking baby steps. Like schamph mentioned, physics sims are a good, relatively easy way to get a skirt like this going. But it depends on your ultimate use-- if the goal is a game engine, you need to know what kinds of sims you can run in that game engine, and how much performance you can spare to run sims on a single character.

If doing this for Blender only, I’d probably “rig” the skirt by creating a low poly, non-rendering cage with cloth physics, create a couple of non-rendering sticks parented to leg bones for collision, and then surface deform (with a manually painted vertex group) the skirt from the cloth physics cage.

2 Likes