Rigged model separating/tearing

Hi,
I have a series of sculpted characters that are to be hi res large 3d prints. I sculpted them in A-pose as I wanted to have multiple positioned models.

I used instant meshes to quad it and lower the res for rigify, but whether I do it at high res or low quads I’m getting separating/tearing around the bend areas that don’t line up with the weight painting, so I’m at a lose to the cause.

Any ideas/suggestions? I haven’t come across this on any tutorial with it being across the painted zone.

All you need to do to fix that, is smooth out the weights a little.

Mess with the factor a little - I normally use like 0.8 or something, and you can also up the itterations. I normally just run smooth a few times, but generally, it fixes the problem on dense meshes.

Also make sure All Groups is selected in Subset, so that it smooth all weights, and not just the active.

1 Like

It may not be around that weight group (clavicle?) but it is around another weight group (humerus?)

What you’re showing looks too high poly to weight both well and easily. Hopefully, that’s the high res and not the low poly (but if you have a low-poly, you should be rigging that, and perhaps mesh or surface deforming from it to your high poly.)

Sculpting has pose brushes now, and you might find that works better for your goals than trying to rig the entire model, considering you’re only after a few particular poses for 3D printing.

Thank for the quick reply, it fixed it perfectly. Tested max movements and it doesn’t occur :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. I did check all the groups, I was just limited to 1 picture upload.

Nope thats the low res :yum: theres a lot of detail on the final model carved in the skin.

Would the mesh/surface deform allow me to rig a lower poly, set the pose and the make the hi res form to it? If so do you happen to have a tutorial link?

I’ve used the pose brush for position correcting during sculpting, it some ways it works well but when you going for a fine pose its very difficult to get it to pick up where you want to to bend on.

Thanks again

I don’t have any tutorial links. Yes, mesh or surface deform will let you pose a low poly and have the high poly follow (and has better performance than an armature in Blender, in my experience, even though that seems crazy to me.)

I think that’s too high poly for a low poly. You’ve got to be looking at 300k+ verts at least for the whole body + face. Probably more. My personal rule for a low poly is under 100k, and that’s already stretching it really, really hard. A more reasonable rule is under 25k verts.

Something is creating that line. If you want me to tell you which bone, I’d need a file. Judging weights by colors is rarely a good idea (because weights <1/255 can still have a strong effect, and there’s no possible way to see that in colors, even if Blender didn’t choose colors that are really hard to see to begin with. Maybe that last part is just me, but I can’t see the difference between 0/255 weights and 1/255 weights, and I suspect that if I wanted to tune my monitor to see it, I’d be seeing banding in all of my renders.)