Rigging a model without it bending while posing

So I have a 3D model with all the parts separated, like so:

I rigged it, and it bends the mesh where the bones are at. I don’t know how to make it just move and rotate the bones, not bend them. I would appreciate any help.

And yes I looked at the topic about this, but it’s from 2011 and I want to know if anyone has any ideas in 2021.

If you don’t want your mesh “bending” then you have to set the weight “full” all over the mesh parts which you choose to “stick” to one bone (so no automatic weights). And yo mean

just move and rotate the

mesh (not bone).

You may even use a non bone setup, just building a parented stick figure ?

Alright, I’ll do it when I get home and get back to you on that.

I tried. No prompt for it, only empty weights envelope weights and automatic weights. Note, I made the model in Nomad on iPad and then exported it to blender, so it sees it as one mesh.

You can select the indivudual vertices and assign them to vertex groups. This would be your bones.

Hi, you can select one of the faces in edit mode then > select > select linked and then > Mesh separate selection. for each part of your model and then Parent to the corresponding bone as object.

I’ll try this when I get home.

1 Like

so I came home, and I forgot to do it and instead started working on the procedural generation.

it works. thank you. this is such a help, you have no idea

1 Like