Rigging a robot type (question!)

To use an armature and bones would mean deformations correct? So if I were to want to setup a robot character for animation, then rigging is not required, instead I should just move the pivot point (origin) to the correct position and keep the objects as parented to an empty? Is this the correct workflow for robotic characters? or should I look into armature rigging?

your choice, you can do that if you want. However if you want just one mesh for the robot you simply weight paint all the parts full red to the particular bone.

Or, a faster way:

• with the rig in Pose Mode,
    -select a part of the robot (forearm, for instance),
  • select the forearm bone on your rig (or DEF-forearm.01.L, if you’re using a Rigify rig),
  • Ctrl-P, and
  • from the “Set Parent to” context menu, select “Bone.”

This allows you to do each part of the robot as a separate object and attach each part without the hassle of weight painting.

ok thanks ill look into this

You can use parenting alone to create a robot character. But that can get tedious to animate. Because you need to animate each robot parts individually. Each object will need to have its own animation sequence. And it can not be reset to starting position automatically with hot key Alt + G. Try creating simple robot and animate it by key framing and you will see what I mean.

Armature object is built for animation. Armature as a whole records single animation sequence. Armature has its own local coordinate to work from. Hitting hot key Alt + G will reset the whole rig to its starting position.

This is actually my very 1st post here.

I’m having trouble in animation.
I want an object to collide with a sensor and then the armature animation to play.
I animate objects just fine but am searching 4 a way to activate the armature animation

This is actually my very 1st post here.

I’m having trouble in animation.
I want an object to collide with a sensor and then the armature animation to play.
I animate objects just fine but am searching 4 a way to activate the armature animation

Mirza, The question you ask really belongs in Game Engine Support and Discussion forum. Try posting there.