Rigging an .OBJ file

Hello, so before I begin, let me say I am SUPER new to blender. Like I understand some basics, but have yet to learn anything life changing.

How do I go about rigging an .obj file? It has the 3D object, but doesnt let me connect the rig to the model like usual with ctrl+P. If you need more information, let me know, I will provide whatever you may need.

1 Like

I don’t have much experience with either rigging or animation, but the usual thing I’ve seen cause this is an obj with too many polygons, or non-quad topology. Can you say how many polys the obj is, and if it’s all quads?

Usually you’d be expected to post the blend file if feasable, but since this is your first post here you can’t yet.

JESUS DE NAZARÉ - Buy Royalty Free 3D model by mortaleiros (@mortaleiros) [9477bfd] - Sketchfab Store This is it

Huh. Well, wireframe view, topology on what I can see of the body isn’t too bad, face could be a problem, although the robes are high-poly and tris, maybe you could delete those and then try.

Not sure what you’re trying to do with your rig – if you want a slightly different pose, that’s doable, although rigging may not be your best option. But if you’re trying for a fully posable figure this object isn’t suitable as-is, beyond the problem you’re having connecting a rig.

I don’t want to go into detail without a better idea of your end goal, and once you’ve posted that there are plenty of people of the forum more knowledgeable of this kind of thing than I am, hopefully some of them will jump in.

The model is all triangles. Normally you want to retopo it (turn to all quad) before you rig.