rigging and skinning a proxy object

Hi everyone!
I’m new to the forum, but I’m working with blender for a couple of months now.
I get pretty much everything, but there’s still one pipeline issue that I’m missing : before switching to Blender I was working with Maya and I was used to reference file for every step of the pipeline ( es. Modelling -> reference the model in the shading file -> Shading -> reference the shading file in the rig file -> Rigging …and so on).

Now I’m trying to do the same with blender, I got my model done and shaded ( in the same file ) and I want to reference it in a new file for the rigging, just to keep things clean and clear. If I use the append command I can edit the model, but I will miss future modifications of the base file. on the other hand if I use the link command and make it a proxy I can’t enter in the weight paint mode…
my question is : is there a way to do what I’m trying to achieve or I have to do everything in the same file till the rig is done and than I can start linking the character?

Thank you so much for your kindness and patience!

Alan

Hey Alan, welcome to the forums!!!

Yes, this is normal work flow in blender, to do everything in the same file. After you are done rigging, then you can start linking the character into other files. Sounds like you have a good grasp on the difference between appending and linking.

Randy

thank you very much for your quick reply, revolt_randy!
everything make sense, but I have another big question: what’s the right workfolw if the modeller and the rigger have to work on the same file? maybe the rigger should link the model file (to have it updated) and start placing bones and controls until the model is done, and then append and make local the model?