Rigging goes wrong

Hi! Im really new to blender and I tried rigging for the first time. When I try to move my feet they completely mess up, the same thing with the head. The head only moves the hair and not the head it self. What am I doing wrong? I really donā€™t know what to do about this so im hoping somebody can help me out! :smiley:

Hi @Sofie_Den_Elzen , welcome to the forum!

The best way to get help around here is to post up the .blend file. Since you are new around here, you probably canā€™t attach a file to this thread. If so, use another file hosting site and post the link here.

This way, someone can get in and look at your file and see what you have going on.

Your foot problem might be a cyclic dependency problem causing the bone to flip around in strange ways. From pose mode, go the edit mode, then back to pose mode and check the system console window for error messages.

The head and hair issue might be a weighting problem. Maybe the head mesh isnā€™t weighted to the head bone.

Just a couple of quick guesses,
Randy

Hi! Hereā€™s the blender file. I really hope someone can find the problem. I tried weight painting but this didnā€™t work, maybe I did it wrong.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_SbX6y6dK4GmYjf6b52poiwLPUry9uS_/view?usp=sharing

thanks in advance!

Hi Sofie, the problem seems to be the vertex weights. The automatic weights seems to have made a bit of a mess. For example for the shoes the right one is affecting the left and its creating that sort of stretching effect.

If you are completely new to rigging and weight editing then I highly recommend that you experiment and learn on a simpler model and rig just so you get the basics down, because this stuff gets complicated when you try to do everything all at once on a full character.

Hi and welcome to the BA forum. First of all you need to apply all the mirror modifiers you have on the shoes and arms and in edit mode select one side of each object and disconnect from the other.
When you have object that are not part of the body mesh you can delete all the vertex groups that are not needed for instance the left shoe donā€™t have to have the right leg vertex group. That way you only have the weights on the object you need. If you did automatic weights then In the vertex groups you can apply the lock to the bones you need and then select Delete All Unlocked option.