Rigging Help

I have been following the BSoD on animation for this, and even though I have the rig set up like wise, my bone causes wierd deformations. Would someone mind looking at this, and telling me how to correct it?

http://www.2disbettersoftware.com/stuff/roboarmsrigged.blend

Thanks much.

2d

Ps.: Any other comments you would like to make would be cool as well.

Another comment first. On your mesh, go into edit mode, select all, and press Ctrl-N>Recalculate Normals Outside. That will take care of the black artifacts on your mesh.

The problem in some cases (like the neck, back of head) is that not all vertices are properly weighted to the bones. Probably you did this by weight painting and the necessary verts were concealed by other parts of the mesh, so they couldn’t be painted.

You can do a couple things. One thing you can do is to put the verts manually in the appropriate bone vert groups, in edit mode select the verts that need to be influenced by the bone, and in Vertex Groups click “assign” with a value of one to the appropriate bone group. You can select sections of the mesh by pressing the L key with the mouse over their verts in edit mode, then assign the whole segment to a bone in the vertex groups area. Then invert the selection and remove all other verts from that bone.

For a mechanical thing like this, you don’t want any actual mesh deformation, though, so you also could model the robot with separate parts in individual objects and use bone parenting. Go into pose mode, then select the object (you will automatically return to object mode), then select the armature (which will still be in pose mode) then select the bone and press Ctrl-P>parent to bone. This is just a different way to do it.

The important thing is to make sure that all the necessary verts are being influenced by the appropriate bone.

bugman, you cleared up something I was looking into. The whole parenting thing with objects is probably the best way for something like this. After having learned how deformation will effect the mesh, I can now rebuild the character isolating sections by objects, and just using the parenting option. The only thing that really need bend as in deform, would be the neck, and torso.

Thank you for your help on this.

2d

P.s.: In a future build they should have an option that will allow you to paint completely through a mesh, instead of just surface space. I think this would be very benefical.

P.s.: In a future build they should have an option that will allow you to paint completely through a mesh, instead of just surface space. I think this would be very benefical.
In weight paint mode press the F key to get into a face selection mode. This will allow you to select faces to take paint (unselected faces won’t be painted) and also to hide faces using the H key. Hidden faces will also not be painted and you can paint what’s behind them that way.

<edit>

One other thing is that the structure of your armature is a bit awkward. I would suggets at least making the bone of the torso pivot at the hip rather than the neck. Bones rotate around their base (the fat end of the octohedron), so put that at the place where the body should bend.