Rigging in Blender to match UE4 character rig - possible?

Hi! I’ve found the same problem, can I find somewhere the correct procedure to export armatures from Blender to unreal?

I think that this topic would be ripe for a “Tutorials, Tips and Tricks” segment that is dated, and kept up-to-date with the latest status quo in both products. “Let’s get to the bottom of this.”

I’m not qualified to write it, but I’d love to read it.

Set scene units to mm, scale to 0.01, create your character and rig (make sure your rig closely resembles UE4 Mannequin rig, same A/T pose too), export to UE4, re-target existing anims to your skeleton or your anims to Mannequin’s skeleton, bam! (or use your own rig + anims and then you don’t have to retarget anything)

Not exactly on topic but good to know:

taking the unreal mannequin out of unreal, into blender, and re importing to unreal retaining correct rotation and orientation, so you can tweak unreal animations, only 2 bones are out of place but retain correct axis and relationships then revert to correct position when back in unreal,

1 Like

For rig any type of character for unreal engine, check this.

https://www.fiverr.com/vinstriano/rigging-for-epic-skeleton-ue4

Send FBX with character and you got video of the work with you character in unreal engine and you look and choose.
Again: https://www.fiverr.com/vinstriano/rigging-for-epic-skeleton-ue4

hi is it possible to rig from 0 inside ue4
start from a mesh without no bones and create the deformation bones inside ue4 using control rig ?

Hi all, I have spent a couple sleepless days really addressing this problem in a non hafhassed way.
The goal:
Import an FXB mannequinn file, rig it, create an animation, export the animation and import to unreal without any need for re-targeting.
The file I’ll be providing Has the following:

1. An import of an FBX mannequin with the foobar bones as usual or standard. The skeleton on this rig has a “special” set up and it’s hidden on layer 10 - You must go onto this layer and click the armature in order to export a Clean FBX.
  2. Your default rigify rig stuff.
  3. A hidden metarig (currently fixing some typos in bone nomenclature) that creates all the appropriate “magic”, This is provided in case Rigify gets an update. It’s somewhat important to have better parts when they come out, like for the super fingers.
  4. The rig.
    it’s a standard-not-so-standard rig created by rigify with quite a lot of changes made to the hierarchy/parenting of bones which is done automatically by item 5 in case you update the rig.
  5. BoneBreaker - a python script I spent a good 3 days adjusting and fine tailoring to actually do what I wanted to do (considering I didn’t even really know how to use Blender until 2 weeks ago, I’d say this is acceptable).
    What the script does:
    1: Adjust the rig by moving/changing layer order of the unreal bones, which can be seen in layer 24 of the rig
    2: Adjust my super fingers. For whatever reason the Original Mesh is not “moved” by rigify rig when using super fingers. This currently also adjusts the hand parenting and some nomenclature I mentioned above and is being patched before release.
    3: Remove all of the constraints on the bones of the FBX import (called root) and add new ones to get it move and copy the location of the actual rig (similar to the blender file provided above actually, which was truly magical even if it did not have a decent rig to go along with it).
    4: Move the layer order for the armature so that you can click the layer, find it, and export your FBX with little to no fuss.
    5: Hide the meta-rig and change its layer - for when you paste the rig in a new file, for instance.
    6: move the mesh to another layer and make it not select-able so you can’t click it when trying to animate things.
    7: selects the rig and goes to pose mode, so you are ready to tackle the animation task.

The script has a few “utility” functions I have been using to work, nothing really cool other than the ability to do whatever I need in 10 minutes off a list rather than 2 hours manually (if you are fast at it!)

Update:
Here’s the link to a debugged download ripe for public consumption.
http://mosthostla.com/gamedev

Hope this helps guys, I’ll be spending the next week or so popping out animations :wink:

2 Likes

I’ve seen methods on using the ue4 maniquine to rig and transfer a character, but if you can’t edit the size of your bones how will you rig a character with limbs that have different proportions then the original maniquine? In my case I have a weasle character which would require a longer ankle bone before the foot… After a few weeks of failed attempts I’m at a loss as to where to start or if it’s possible.

I solved all my characters exporting/importing headache with autorig pro and believe me keep your sanity with this must have addon.