Rigging position

Yes that is what I meant.
I also made a sample used the transformation constraint.
Problem is when rotating the arm its not extending in a straight line.
boom_demo.blend (687.6 KB)

Because you’re evaluating your constraints in world space. Evaluate them in local space instead, and adjust your axes to be appropriate for that adjustment.

1 Like

Hey, I have provided you a couple of files that have ‘examples’ of such rigs, although not exactly what you want, the concepts are there. Here is a new file(same old name) with what I hope is what you are after.The’ base’ bone has a ‘custom property’ on it so you can turn off/on the copy loc const., since you require “more control” as you said. CTRL bone operates the action.

Its not at all
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ccdLEl0GTPOpeiLHS91EiF2feEsUNDsZ
DISCLAIMER : File saved in 2.76,if your using 2.7x it will open fine…IF your using 2.8x then ‘APPEND’ the ‘Objects’ into your version.

Hey, I had a look at this file, well its a bit of a mess - bones improperly parented, bone roll inconsitent, un applied rotation and scale on the parts, consraints pointing (referencing) each other(leeds to the dredded ‘Dependency Cycle’).The ‘Transformation’ constraint is not the best choice here, not to mention it is the hardest const to set up - you really have to understand it. But having said all that I took the time to re_rig it - for what its worth…

DISCLAIMER : File saved in 2.76,if your using 2.7x it will open fine…IF your using 2.8x then ‘APPEND’ the ‘Objects’ into your version.

Why have you not yet switched to version 2.8.
2.76 is very old.

Its always good to give positive criticism to learn from. Can you show me the dependency cycle.
Thanks

Thanks for the rig only the piston2 (upper) is now not working anymore also cannot rotate the extendable crane 180 degree. Its a foldable crane I modeled.

Well, thats my old pc’s fault -windows xp 32 bit. I keep in mind who and what I can help just for this reason.

You find that info in the ‘console’ window.

Thats because I did not rig it, I rigged the one so you could see how it should be. On one of the bones (control_boom) I put a ‘Custom Property’ so you can turn off/on the ‘IK’ const, that way you can have more individual control. Bones in the IK chain have a panel to lock and restrict movement, the rotation thing could be due to a setting there but would have to see the actual file.

[quote=“ajcdfin, post:28, topic:1193247”]
You find that info in the ‘console’ window.
[/quote] No Idea how to find the errors console window in 2.8

https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/latest/editors/python_console.html

Can you make a screenshot from the error.

Well,that is the rub, it does not show up in my version, it must be a 2.8 thing on my part. Never have you been able to use constraints (or the like) to reference one another, that is what causes the dependency loop. Have you ever experienced the rig or the parts glitch ? that’s a sure sign you have a dependency cycle, your rig does that for me.

The rig is made in 2.8 I have had no problems Alt G also no problems and updates well.
Can you show a screenshot in the version which shows the errors in the console.
Dephsgraph has be rewritten in 2013.
This fixed bugs and constraint errors.

Blender 2.76, released Oct 9, 2015. (Update 2.76b is from Nov 3 2015).

again;

If there are no errors in your console then it seems there is no problem…

I think I understand how you did the boom rig. using an IK and Limit constraint.
Thanks working n it right now. Sorry for the late reaction but I was a few days on the road for work.
Thanks for showing me. Using a Driver key is also good solution I guess.

Practising takes perfect.

Hello ajcdfin how did you prevent rotation for bone arm 2 ?

I don’t have the file any more so I will just have to guess, check transform locks first, if that bone is part of an IK chain then look in the IK panel, I may have locked it there.

Ok thanks transformation or IK

Sorry ajcdin I have no idea why and where you prevent rotating arm2.
Couldn’t find it.

boom2.8_demo_goed.blend (630.5 KB)