Rigging with (or... VS) ragdoll

Hey. I can’t figure out one thing that confuses me. Or I am misunderstanding something. Let’s say I made a rig, at least for a human model, at least for a worm. I can change the pose however I want, and all that jazz. However, as far as I know, in order to create a ragdoll, the bones must be detached from the parental bonds, i.e. be on your own. In this case, how to pose, raise arms, legs, etc., in a model that has a ragdoll?

do you mean sometimes the hand controls the arm but sometimes the elbow needs to be the controller?

Probably … in general, the point is that bones are attached to meshes, which act as physical bodies. And the bones of the armature I can only move in essence by moving those ragdoll meshes. Because of this, I don’t understand how you can normally put the armature in one or another pose, other than moving the ragdoll mesh, which looks rather complicated and tedious, than just turning bones in pose mode.

you can give physics to the armature, there are several tutorials on this topic:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=blender+ragdoll+rig

so I guess you can switch from animated armature to physics whenever you want?

You don’t understand what I’m talking about. I know how to make a physics rig, but I do not understand how to quickly and easily set the armature in the desired position. After all, even in this video, the guy says that you need to remove all child-parent bonds in the bones, otherwise the bones just stick to each other and the ragdoll does not work.

Unfortunately, you are not the kind of person who understands the topic. I’ll wait for someone else.

Any help, PLEASE???

It’s not just ragdolls, but any kind of physics. Objects are either under the control of your physics system or they’re under the control of your animation system. So how do you exert control over your physics system? Either with constraints or collision, with objects with the “animated” trait.

So there’s two basic ways to pose a ragdoll, depending on what you want to do. First, you can keyframe the “animated” trait for your ragdoll bodies, to be on at frame 1 and off at frame 10 (for example.) Then you can keyframe those bodies at frame 1 in rest pose (Blender looks at frame 1 to determine the rest state of the physics systems) and at frame 9 in some other pose, and at frame 10, Blender will start running physics on your posed ragdoll.

If you find it hard to pose the rigid bodies as individual objects, you can bone parent them to bones in a rig if you want. Just be careful not to create any loops-- if the deforming bones are dependent on the rigid bodies, you can’t also make the rigid bodies be dependent on the deforming bones. You need a new bone layer. It’s fine for the rigid bodies to have parents (at least, non-physical parents); they’ll just ignore them once they start running physics.

The other way to animate a rag doll simulation would be one where you want to exert some control over the rag doll while letting physics run. For this, you’d create additional rigid bodies with the “animated” trait enabled, then create rigid body constraints joining these new rigid bodies to your old rigid bodies. Think of it like a marionette-- you’re running strings to your ragdoll, from things that you control. Although it doesn’t have to be literally like a marionette, since you can use springs instead of strings, and it’ll never get tangled, and you can put the controls anywhere you want.

1 Like

I even thought about creating another skeleton (for physics meshes), but … I have doubts that it is really done this way. In the end, I’m sure that for some games, both the rigging and the animation and the physics of people-monsters, whatever, is done in a blender, and … the way I see it, and how you write it, looks like an overcomplication.

Games don’t use Blender to create ragdoll animations. In-game ragdoll animations depend on game values that change, that Blender doesn’t know about, like exactly where the floor is. Games have their own code to create their own ragdoll animations, and yes, it’s at least as complicated as this. (Which isn’t very complicated.)

1 Like

Still, what should I do with this situation?