Right of Passage: Exploring the effect of cars on birds

Well, I finally got down to it today and started work on the car. It is an Audi RS4 2000. I wanted to use the Audi 1985, but there weren’t sufficient blueprints available. Besides, this model is shaping up nicely already. If you see anything you like, or don’t like, say so.

Cheers and God bless.

the bird update is looking better, but how exactly did you do the wing?
looks like you just extruded it out, and i think your gonna have to work on it more,
im not sure how it would deform tho, but its like your beak all over again, your gonna get his stomach deforming with it

Okay, Cire, you caught me. That’s exactly what I did, just extruded the wing out. How would you advise that I build it? It’s not really a separate object per say, but it has some independence of movement. I will work on it.

Cheers and God bless.

the wings look like they’ve just been extracted, use the same time and care you took with the beak, remember find edgeloops in everything. it will make posing this piece a breeze

and actually you can make the wing just a thin stick and use particles (i.e. Feathers) to flush it out.

sort of like this

Attachments

Ok, question, on the 3rd post of Pompey, there is a render of the bird in editmode, you have curved lines between vertices…to the best of my knowledge unless you’re using nurbs or curves…there is always straight lines between 2 vertices. Could you help me, I’ve been using blender for over 2 years and I don’t want to be missing out! Basically, how did you get curved edges without using more than 2 vertices! Thanks!

Keith, the mesh you’re seeing is subsurfed, that’s why lines appear to be curved.

Haha…WHEW…lol I knew that when you subsurf it does that, but I’ve just never seen it in editmode subsurfed…my curiosity got the better of me :smiley:

@Pompey, you should gather a few reference images of wings, you’ll see they arent simple planes, but a bit like an arm (which i thought weird at first, but makes sense) theyve got 3 joints in their arm that could be defined with loops, and layers of feathers that you could also define with loops and then use particles to do the actual feathers, these obviously do not all need to be heavily defined, its up to you to find what your satisfied with, im sure you ’ ll come up with something tho.
you should show some more views of the car, kind of hard to comment on anything, and definetly look around the site, theres a lot of cars flying about that you could study from
not sue if youve looked into this, i find it easier to follow then the one at SubD
Poles and Loops

@Keith M, theres a button in the modifer options thats like “apply to editing cage” its beside the arrows, looks like a triangle when pressed

Attachments

Thank you for the diagrams and wing modeling advice. I am having some issues with Windows crashing right now (I think I will need to reinstall it, but first I have to backup my files). When I resolve that, I will get back to work.

Cheers and God bless.