Rigid Bodies & gravity

I set up a human whose hand picks up a ball from a table (using ‘the child of’ constraint).
The hand is then made to move well up under the constraint influence…
I then remove the influence and expect the ball to drop vertically down under gravity (I have checked that gravity is enabled).
But the ball returns to the table instead dropping straight down.
Why is gravity not effective please?

have you keyframed the Animated option in the physics settings?

Thank you for your prompt response.
I am more or less a beginner & didn’t quite follow your suggestion to keyframe the Animated option.
I tried to upload my Blender file but it proved to be too large. So I am sending two screenshots:

1. Lefthand picks the Object at frame 8 and then carries it several frames further
    • the shot also shows the child-of constraint
  2. the idea is to release the Object (by setting Influence to 0), I also clicked both boxes (Dynamic & Animated). The Object returns to the table instead of falling down under gravity.
    Help will be much appreciated.
  • The frame before the hand drops the child object, create a keyframe LocRotScale for the child object, and create a keyframe for its Child Of constraint Influence (set at 1). Create a keyframe for the Rigid Body Animated option (switched on).

• The following frame (when the dropping happens), create a keyframe Visual LocRotScale for the child object, and create a keyframe for its Child Of constraint Influence (set at 0). Create a keyframe for the Rigid Body Animated option (switched off).

It should work (to test, go back to frame 0)