Rigid Body Issues

Hi!
I’m trying to simulate a Japanese wind chime with rigid bodies and I had to fight my way through the meshes to get it kind of steady.

But I don’t know why I can’t make the paper stop exploding the whole object (at frame 194). And I’m not even using wind force yet…

I fear that the mesh might not be suitable for this kind of simulation, or I’m simply missing the easiest thing. Probably the latter.

I’d be really thankful if anyone could look at my scene and give me some tips that might help get the last joint actually rigid.
Wind Chime05.blend (1.8 MB)

By the way I’m using Blender 2.91.0

1 Like

Hello dear Harry, I am relatively new into blender (6th month) and I have done some experiment and seems like there is 2 factors; -scale & origin of the mesh. What I firstly thought was that at a certain point the paper mesh was collapsing (like a nano collapse that you can’t see) so I tried to scale it up and move the origin point, seems to me that it worked but in the end I retried my experiment, and it failed then it worked again with some retries.

I scrapped a video showing the experiment (it is a cut of the integrity of the footage).

Thank you for you quick answer,
You think overlapping geometry of the paper could be the reason? Because the metal ring of the hole is just a joined torus which is intersecting the paper. Because I’m not quite sure what else you could mean by collapsing.
I made sure I applied scale of all objects, and the origin lies at center of mass by volume. Did you move the pivot of the paper? Or was it just the 3D cursor you moved.

EDIT:

I set the origin in the center of the hole of the paper and it fixed the weird behaviour.

1 Like

Ho nice, I hope I was helpful :grin:

PS: sorry I saw your message now :frowning:

1 Like

A little extra in case you are interested in this matter:

I was looking up solutions to my problem, especially because I was having problems with the wind force as well.

Turns out I did it all wrong from the beginning!
Instead of creating a direct chain link that interacts with the mesh I created Rigid Body Constraints between the Hook, Bell, Hammer and Paper. The pivot of the constraint is what the movement is pivoting around.

This tutorial helped me:

1 Like