Rigify Meta-Rig for MB-Lab [Addon for an Addon]

rigging
add-ons
blender2-80

(DanielEngler) #1

This add-on adds a nearly ready-to-use Rigify Meta-Rig for Characters made with the MB-Lab add-on.

After the installation you can find the add-on in the MB-Lab tab in the Properties panel.

usage:

• create and finalize a character with MB-Lab
  • select the Armature (usually “MBlab_sk<long number>”) in Object Mode (the menu doesn’t show in Pose Mode!)
  • click the button “Add Meta-Rig”
    optional:
    • set legs straight and adjust knee offset in y direction (I couldn’t get the rig to work properly without this. The knees always bend inwards.)
  • also optional:
    • remove face rig, if not needed
  • Generate Rig (Properties > Data)

to use the weight paint from MB-Lab:

• select the character mesh
  • exchange the armature object (Properties > Modifiers)
  • click the button “MB-Lab to Rigify”
  • Weight paint for the neck bones “DEF-spine.004” and “DEF-spine.005” needs to be done manually

Important:

Weight paint for the neck bones “DEF-spine.004” and “DEF-spine.005” needs to be done manually! MB-Lab rig has one neck bone. The default Rigify rig has two neck bones.
Also, the head of “spine-004” should be moved a bit forward, before generating the rig.

Rigify in Legacy Mode: Weight paint for ‘thumb.01.L.01’, ‘thumb.01.L.02’, ‘thumb.01.R.01’, and ‘thumb.01.L.02’ needs to be done manually!

update 0.5.1:
added Rigify Legacy Mode compatibility

update 0.5.0:
port to blender 2.8 for MB-Lab

MB-Lab 1.7.1 Release for Blender 2.80
(Safetyman) #2

Thank you!

(DanielEngler) #3

update 0.5.1:
added Rigify Legacy Mode compatibility

(micro26) #4

Hi, i tried to transfer weights from mb to rigify but seems there are bones missing from vertex groups.Mb has fewer bones than rigify that deform. Am i doing something wrong?
Bw i tested on 2.8

(Peetie) #5

Could it be you mean this: (see one of the previous posts): Weight paint for the neck bones “DEF-spine.004” and “DEF-spine.005” needs to be done manually! MB-Lab rig has one neck bone. The default Rigify rig has two neck bones.

I am wondering if I should split that neck bone. Not sure what it will break if I do something like that…

(micro26) #7

I can merge the vertex groups but though i did something wrong. Anyway thx for this awesome addon!

(DanielEngler) #8

After using the “Rename Vertex Groups” function, you need to do some work. I updated the initial post, to make it more clear what to do.