Rigify. Porting weights.

This is the first time I used rigify, and it appears I did a mistake.
I thought that when I generate the rig, the weights from the primary armature would port to the generated armature.
It didn’t.
Now, I only see two ways to go, either I redo all the weights (which is a bummer), or rename the vertex groups (Which is a confusing job to do).
Is there any quick way to port the weights?
Maybe I could edit the rigify code to get the names right for the new armature or something like that?

Thanks.

I thought that when I generate the rig, the weights from the primary armature would port to the generated armature.

Rigify only give you pre built human Armature. Weights, you need to do that yourself.

I had the same confusion – now I know better …the process is to:

1. Add human meta rig
  2. edit the rig to fit the model
  3. Generate auto rig
  4. Weight the model to the auto rig (the def- bones on the third from last layer)

That being said – I would love to know if there is a way to port the weights too. I have dozens of characters weighted to the meta rig that I would love to have a good rig for.

if you have already skinned the character, you could change all the vertex groups names. because of the way of working in blender, you could change all the vertex groups names by DEF- + old.name
it should work, unless you have selected twist, because rigify generates two deformation bones if this options is selected.
hope useful

DEF? They say “ORG” here.

100% correct, and the DEF bones can be found here:

As seen here:

Randy

Rigify does more than give you a human armature.
There are many rigify rig types.

I have been playing around creating my own rig so I never fully checked Rigify out to the end. I checked the tutorial. It does everything. Thanks for the info.