River affects landscape?

Hi Community!

Vastly theoretical question, for now at least. Just like to know if you have any ideas, maybe videos to link?

Say, I want to create a landscape with sand dunes, and a river going through the middle of the scene, with cliffs on the bank as well. I can create all this separately, and randomly. My problem is, that I actually have a plan, exactly what goes where.

Is there any elegant solution (besides setting everything manually), so that the water affects the landscape position? Like I have a curve for the river, drop it in the middle of my scene, and the hills will know, that they should be lower there, like get out of the way, like a proximity thing, without actually sculpting the whole riverbed manually.

It can be procedural materials, geomentry nodes with a grid thingie, does not really matter.
I guess I will end up creating everything and sculpting them together… But maybe not.

Do you have any ideas? :smiley:
Thanks, have a great weekend!

YOu may have alook here: Modeling/Randomizing meander -kind of- topography - #7 by ozgur1 … note to me: have to investigate the links myself…

2 Likes

@BluePrintRandom did something like this…

hope that helps.

1 Like

Thanks guys, you are awesome! I will check! :blush:

I thought of these two things:

1 Like

I found this new vid, even the beginning is very promising. I will check the possibilities, but it seems to be the best approach currently: