Riverbed Scenery

This outdoor shot was created using Blender 2.83 Cycles, Substance Painter, Megascans, and the Graswald & Botaniq plugins. The terrain was sculpted and a displacement map was used along with a proxy scatter of scanned rocks for the riverbed. Also, I brought the row boat into Substance Painter to create the wood planks and add many layers of grime before doing a final layer of moss from the amazing Graswald plugin.

16 Likes

Wow, this is awesome! The lighting, the grass and the trees look fantastic. I love the moss on the boat with the light backlighting and shining through it. This render is fantastic, but if I could offer a critique it would be the water. I think adding some smaller noise/ripples in the water would add a little more realism, and also possibly some custom ripples around rocks and around the shoreline would also help make it just a bit more real as it just looks a bit too uniform to me.

But again, that’s a small, somewhat nitpicking critique on a great render, but just something that caught my eye. Keep up the fantastic work!

2 Likes

Thank you! I really appreciate the feedback. I agree the water could use some micro detail. I used the ocean shader modifier but I could apply it and add a noise texture on top to pull more detail. As far as the ripples around the rocks and shoreline - how would you recommend adding that? Is there a node I could apply to the shader itself that could determine intersecting geometry?

If I was going to do it I would just create a UV map of the water (just looking top down and unwrapping to the view should work fine) and then paint in some ripples and details in texture paint mode in the 3d viewport. You could also use the same technique to possibly do some kind of texture mask and two different water shaders.

I’m sure that there is probably a way to do it completely procedurally, but I don’t know of a way personally (but I’m no shader expert.)

Yeah, I like that idea. I’ll take a look at a procedural option as well out of curiosity. I’m guessing it would be a node that reads changes to the z-axis. Thanks again for the feedback.

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend :slight_smile:

1 Like