Robert Jordan - RIP

(Squiggly_P) #1

Jordan was the author of the Wheel of Time series of books. He passed this afternoon due to complications from his illness. I’ve never read the books or anything, tho it’s been on my to-do list for some time. I’ve heard a lot of good things about the series. It’s so sad tho, the guy was apparently working on the last book up to the very end, and didn’t get the chance to see it finished.

Has anyone read the whole series? Is it as good as people keep telling me? My ex roomate was in love with his stuff, and tried to convince me many times to start reading it, but i’ve just never had the chance. I don’t really have a lot of time for reading. Anyway, i thought maybe some of you guys would be greatly interested in the news, i know he was well admired by a lot of people.

http://www.dragonmount.com/RobertJordan/?p=90 - This was on the front page of Digg just now, so it’s not loading for me. Surely it will work later after the traffic has died down.

0 Likes

(Fade) #2

I just heard about this too, very sad news. The books are very good provided you don’t wait too long before reading the next one. Some of the books around 8-10 seem very slow if you’ve been waiting for them for two years, but if you read them all much closer together the pacing seems very natural and logical. To me it feels like the early books are the characters learning and acquiring their powers and skills, the middle books are about consolidation of said powers and skills in preparation for the climax. This is much harder to pick up on if you have to wait so long between books, which is probably why his middle books have a copped a bit of grief.

0 Likes

(Tarrosion) #3

This is a great tragedy. Mr. Jordan was a great author and an inspiration to many. He will be missed; best of luck to his family and friends.

0 Likes

(valarking) #4

:eek:

B-b-b-but, he wasn’t even done with his books! :frowning:

Same thing happened with the great Frank Herbert.

I wasn’t a big fan of Jordan’s writing but it’s always sad to see such a well respected author with unfinished writing go.

0 Likes