Robot Rag

Feedback would be appreciated, although I doubt I’ll be rendering out another version. This animation took four days to render. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IbNTX9UDwM&feature
100 samples, 960 x 540, 3000 frames It’s about 2 minutes long.

four days to render? you mean…you pressed “animation” render button, then waited 4 days?

Pretty much. Each frame took about 1.75 minutes to render.

Wonderful! I love it. Smiling all the way through! The grainy background didn’t detract at all, it kept the focus on the robot. Nice model, nice animation, nice music. Everything worked together well.

After watching a few more times, I have to say that the timing is well worked out, and maybe what makes the whole thing work so well. The robot stays in each cycle long enough for viewers to take in the details of the moves, and just before it starts to look repetitive, the cycle changes to something else. So it is both immersive and entertaining. Well done indeed.

Thanks. And I’m glad you liked it.

You hit on one of my concerns. The graininess of the background. I didn’t see it until after my final render. Still, I figured it could pass for my intentionally giving it a vintage look.

The timing of the camera could be improved, but you’re right about my intention. The NLA editor (as you most likely know) is all about repetition. So I wanted to adjust for that.

Loved it. I am wondering why you did not render stills then move on to the final render though.

Thanks.

I did render stills before my final render. I guess I was hoping the graininess would not be too noticeable in the animation. I’ll have to ask in this forum how to fix the graininess problem, because I haven’t a clue. I worked on this animation so much, I was getting sick of it. Now maybe I’m ready to go at it yet one more
time.

Cool! A fun concept. The robot model is great for the whole dance thing, and it’s decently animated. I’m not a huge fan of the walk cycle, though. It’s a little slow on the start when he switches from dancing to walking, like, his feet are sliding on the ground…and a bit exaggerated overall. Still, I like it. =)

You’re right about the transitions. They could have been done better. But I think that’s a problem with my Blender skills, not the NLA editor. And it’s a cartoon. Maybe that’s why animated cartoons often have characters running in place before they actually move in a direction. I’m a beginner, but I love the NLA editor, especially the transitions between actions it does. I only wish I knew more about how it works.

Looks great and funny, but the scene itself was a bit dull, and because of small textures became noisy

I’m not sure, but you discovered the graines (where?) after 4 days ?.
I mean did you first render to PNG and then made a Movie of it, or did you went srtaight to MPG AVI ??
You better write png frames then create an avi/mpg of the image stream.
That way your safe if your blender crashes halfway.
When you have made your movie, some remaining noise might be removeable by one of virtualdubs filters (virtualdub is a free video edit tool), i often use it in post production of any kind of video material

I used pngs as I always do. I’m a beginner, but I very quickly learned the benefit of rendering pngs. In this animation, I had to restart from frame one too many times. Otherwise, the video looked like it was edited. I posted a question about the noise issue elsewhere in this forum. Someone mentioned Neat Video. But Virtualdub is new to me too. Actually I got several suggestions about fixing the noise. I’ll see which ones I can follow tomorrow. What do you mean by small textures?

I used pngs as I always do. I’m a beginner, but I very quickly learned the benefit of rendering pngs. In this animation, I had to restart from frame one too many times. Otherwise, the video looked like it was edited. I posted a question about the noise issue elsewhere in this forum. Someone mentioned Neat Video. But Virtualdub is new to me too. Actually I got several suggestions about fixing the noise. I’ll see which ones I can follow tomorrow. What do you mean by small textures?

The two were trying to create a film version of Joyce’s book Santa Callsbut instead they came up with a movie about robots.
http://www.massmailing.us/