Robot's "electricity limbs" aren't working right

Hi, I’m creating a robot for a project I’m working on. Electricity bolts support the robot’s limbs. The problem is, the electricity doesn’t follow the limbs once you edit them in Pose Mode! Any suggestions on how to make this work? :confused:

ZIP File:
https://docs.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0Bx5AYJ8irO53M3RGcFI0aVp4cjQ

Not sure how you’re doing the electricity bolts!

Sounds superficiallu like it could be an issue of world vs. object vs. local coordinate systems … that is, what determines the axis that it’s supposed to follow. But, a brief description of what you’re attempting is needed, and of exactly what you do see when you say “it doesn’t follow the limbs anymore.” (What does​ it seem to follow?)

I kind of see what you are trying to do. For the Electric bolts to move with the rig it needs to be a child of whole rig. Right now Electric Volt objects are total separate. Moving rig will do nothing.

… well, constraints like Point To and Track To can be easily used to “make things follow things.” (“Empties” are our ever-faithful servants in such tasks.) So far, though, it’s pure-guesswork as to what EnderAndroid is encountering and is dealing with.

Okay welll the Electrical parts are objects correct?
Normally how you would do this is go ahead and make a bone for the each electrial part and name them something meaningfull…
In pose mode for the Armature… select the Part… then Shift Select the Bone… then Ctrl+P… and choose Set Parent To… ‘bone’…
and that should do it…

however in your case I believe that the ‘hook’ modifiers are interfering with this sequence… and somehow not letting the Armature have final control of the the parts…

Interesting problem … will have to study on this a bit more…

Okay do this…
Take each electrical part…
Make a corresponding Bone for it inside your Armature… (you might have to adjust parenting in some areas…)
Be sure also to name these bones to closely match Each of the Electrical Parts…

with the Armature in Pose mode… Select the Electrical Body part… Shift Select it’s corresponding Bone in the Armature… The hit Ctrl+P… Choose Set Parent too… Armature Deform… (this sets an Armature Modifier but does not create any Vertex Groups)

Now go to the Modifier Stack and move the newly created Armature to the top of the stack…

Now go to the Object Data (triangle icon) in the Properties Panel and under Vertex Groups hit the Plus sign… to create a new group…

Now select your corresponding bone… and Ctrl+C to copy it’s name…
Select your Electrical part again and … Ctrl+V to paste that name into the newly created Vertex Group…

go to pose mode for that bone and try it out… that should work…

my file attached…

http://www.pasteall.org/blend/30842

Hope that helps…

Cool Robot by the way…

Thanks for the reply! (and the compliments!) I’ll try it out, thanks!