Rock Study

I’ve started this today. So far I only have some shapes blocked. I will attempt a somewhat realistic look.

I have shaped the arch in the front a little bit.

You should use Blender Dyntopo and follow this tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sl5EvG4x-bM

i also have been messing around with rocks
i would recomend usind displacement textures

Yes, I might even give the new micro-polygons feature a try.

Today’s progress.

I wonder if I’ll be able to bend my textures (sediment-like) to match the shapes, that is without struggling with UVs too much.

Some basic lighting (sun + sky):

This is the map I’ll try to separate sedimentation layers with:

This is the node setup for the arch’s material:

BTW is there an addon or something that would help capturing a higher resolution image of the node window?

BTW 2: I didn’t directly use a colorramp because I wanted to be able to play with the colors more easily. I wish color ramp node would acceps individual colors on the scale as inputs.

This is the render with color, roughness & bump mapping:

I plan to use similar materials on the rocks in the background, but with Z values as colorramp inputs instead of painted textures.

Textured the hills and the ground. I am not happy with the ground texture though.

BTW is there an addon or something that would help capturing a higher resolution image of the node window?

without knowing what you are using …

Gimp has a select window screenshot option
there is also the “print screen” button next to the F keys

Hi JohnVV. I use Blender’s save screenshot feature (and sometimes KDE’s Spectacle). But the resolution is limited to what the viewport can actually show. I want to generate an image of nodes with the current zoom level but including the nodes (all nodes in fact) that are outside of the viewport. Basically something more readable than 2pt fonts.

I’ve fixed ground’s colors:

…and added some details:

Final render with compositing:

1.4M tris in the scene, but there’s one or two levels subsurf active during render.

Everything is done in blender, only the text is added in GIMP.